Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The extrude cut function is no longer available

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
heltenraymond
4127 Views, 6 Replies

The extrude cut function is no longer available

While working on a part the extrude cut function suddenly became unavailable. Can anyone give me a clue as to why?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CCarreiras
in reply to: heltenraymond

Hi!

You delete some faces and therefore your solid as a gap somewhere... and becomes a surface... look at the icon in the begining of the browser tree (isnt a yellow solid cube, but a pink surface).

So, if you dont have a solid, siply you cant cut it!!!

Note: a solid is a bunch of closed surfaces...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 7
CCarreiras
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi!

Always "full constrain" your sketches. You have this information in the bottom right of the work area (look the pic below).

Don't make to much extrusions without sense.

Let the "aestetic" operations (chanfers, fillets, holes) near the final of the modeling process (as much as you can of course).

2.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 4 of 7

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! Much obliged 🙂

Deleted  the "deletions" and I got my solid cube back 🙂 WIll have to find another way to get rid of those pins sticking out. 

I do not know how to get the work area you have there with the missing constraints?

Message 5 of 7
CCarreiras
in reply to: heltenraymond

Hi!

I believe that you can get rid of those pins if you have a better inicial sketch. I can help you if you will.

About the information:

When you are editing the sketch (Sketch environment), you will see that information is in the bottom right.
Isn't a global information, every sketch has his own information regarding the constraints.

When you close the sketch, that information shuts off.

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 6 of 7

Hi heltenraymond,

You might take a moment to read the information at this link concerning the simple sketch approach to working in Inventor:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html

I think this might help you as you go forward and create parts in the future.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Nice document Curtis.. Great for the newbies..

I'm so glad I learned to start simple like that.. Its saved me TONS of headaches over the years..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report