Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text on Flat Pattern

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
dloganbill
1736 Views, 13 Replies

Text on Flat Pattern

We have had this issue for a while and using various workarounds, so today I decided to search for better solutions today.  Searching through this forum and a few others, it looks like no one has asked about this topic in years, so I'm hoping that means Autodesk finally created a built in solution.  However, when I try to get text from an unconsumed sketch layer to export with the flat pattern, the only thing that comes across is the text boundary box.

Am I missing a step somewhere?  As many of the other threads have noted, I'm trying to get part numbers etched into parts.  TXT does the trick, but manually adding it is a pain.

Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz; 32 GB RAM; GeForce GTX 680; SSD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mslosar
in reply to: dloganbill

Same boat here.

Still haven't found any method of doing it other than converting to dxf and opening it in autoacad. Loads of time would be saved being able to drop it on in inventor...
Message 3 of 14
mcgyvr

No updates.. Previously stated workarounds still apply.

Don't hold your breath..

Add the text in the cam program if possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 14
dloganbill
in reply to: mcgyvr

I'd love to hear someone from Autodesk explain their reasoning.  It has been a known problem for years and should be a simple fix.  It gets frustrating when they continue to push "features" that most people don't want or need.  I really wish that they would spend one year creating an IV release without the constant freezing, unexplained crashes, and fixes for the hundreds of needless workarounds that are required to use this software.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 14
Roelof.Feijen

Maybe this is something to add to the IdeaStation. Met a customer today who asked me the same question.
Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 6 of 14
dloganbill
in reply to: Roelof.Feijen

Good idea.  I searched a bit and found that someone has already posted this.  Unfortuneately, I was the first to vote for it.   I've linked it below if you also have this problem and want to voice your support for a solution.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/FLAT-PATTERN-DXF-EXPORT-OPTIONS-Include-IV-UNCONS...

Message 7 of 14
Cadmanto

You can always wrap this up into an idea and post it in the Inventor IdeaStation.

Then attache this thread in the idea you post along with a link back to this thread.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 8 of 14
dan_inv09

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are doing.

You have a part that you want text cut into, but when you export it the text doesn't export because you are just putting it in a sketch.

Is there some reason something cut into the part can not be cut into the model?

Message 9 of 14
dloganbill
in reply to: dan_inv09

Our CNC laser and plasma machines have the ability to create scribe lines and punch marks. This is useful for showing bend lines, drill center locations, etc. The text isn't being cut out of the part, but etched onto the parts surface. Basically, I need to be able to export text to a different layer, and unconsumed sketch is currently the best option, but AD hasn't allowed text to be exported. If I use text to "cut" through the part, the exported file with have the text in the cut layer.
Message 10 of 14
dan_inv09

And how are you exporting?

Where do the bend lines and drill centers come from?

Message 11 of 14
dloganbill

Right-click>save flat pattern as..

There are options to export bend lines in the export settings. drill centers can come from punch centers, arc centers, etc. They have lots of good features built in. They just don't export text. I use the unconsumed sketch layer for whatever they don't have a built in layer for.
Message 12 of 14
dan_inv09

What does the IV_INTERIOR_PROFILES layer do for you?

Message 13 of 14
dloganbill

If there are holes or cuts that penetrate through the part, the profile of that shape goes in that layer. CNC cutting machines need two layers defined when cutting a part. The outer profile defines what is being kept. Anything in the inner profile is considered drop. That way the machine knows where to position lead ins and lead outs. You don't want a lead in or lead out burned into the final part.

That is probably clear as mud, so here is a mental picture example. Say you want to cut out a circle with a square cut out of the center of it. When you export the flat pattern, the circle would be placed in the outer profile layer and the square would be in the inner profile layer. When the file is imported into the G-Code software, it looks for the two layers. It would place a lead in on the outside of the circle and a lead in on the inside of the square. The square is considered "drop" or wasted material, so having a lead in there is not a problem.

Message 14 of 14
PaulMunford

There are some suggestions in this series of posts that might help:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/mfg-pages/inventor/inventor-creating-cnc-cut-file-inventor-model...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report