Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text and Lines

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
189 Views, 4 Replies

Text and Lines

Open Autocad and draw a line. Add a piece of text. Close the file, open an IV drawing. Make a view, create a view sketch (not a sheet sketch). Insert the dwg you just created. See how the text is located by the sheet origin while the line is located with respect to the view origin. IV has been this way since we've had the functionality.

This one costs us several hours every week. I'm getting weary of the battle.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hmm ... Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with just drawing the
line and adding the text in the view sketch in the idw? I try to never open
AutoCAD unless I'm forced down. I specially hate it when it brings in
whoknowswhat and you end up with 2000+ dims left to fully constrain a sketch
that's already constrained (or so Auto Dim reports). Haven't had any problem
with bringing in native IV sketches (like a line with text) using Charles'
handy-dandy 3D Text tool then Get model sketches.
~Larry

"rllthomas" wrote in message
news:f19d7a5.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Open Autocad and draw a line. Add a piece of text. Close the file, open an
IV drawing. Make a view, create a view sketch (not a sheet sketch). Insert
the dwg you just created. See how the text is located by the sheet origin
while the line is located with respect to the view origin. IV has been this
way since we've had the functionality.
>
>
> This one costs us several hours every week. I'm getting weary of the
battle.
>
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Imagine if you will that you need to design some artwork in CorelDraw and show it in your drawing. Lets assume it is important to you to be able to verify the edges of the model coincide with the artwork such that you don't make a change and have silk screening right over a cutout. It sure would be nice if you could insert a view sketch and have the artwork's text and lines together. In fact, this is one of our biggest day to day struggles with IV.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Yeah, that's why I don't use Inventor for ANY silkscreening task. I export the appropriate drawing view to ACAD and generate the silkscreening there. I know it's not the best solution, but I have not found anything better. Also, everytime I apply the silkscreening as a decal (to the model) the image resolution looks like about 20 DPI.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I agree, silkscreen stuff is just way more complicated than it needs to be with Inventor.
Most of mine could be done in sketches right in Inventor, but then you can't show them in
drawing views.

I currently bring a sat of the part into Acad, and do the silkscreen there. Then I plot
that to EPS, and also get a BMP of it for us in Inventor. Generally the bmp ends up
looking terrible In R8 there is more options for inserting graphics file types, but they
are all still bitmaps so I don't expect they are going to be that much better.

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"rllthomas" wrote in message news:f19d7a5.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Imagine if you will that you need to design some artwork in CorelDraw and show it in
your drawing. Lets assume it is important to you to be able to verify the edges of the
model coincide with the artwork such that you don't make a change and have silk screening
right over a cutout. It sure would be nice if you could insert a view sketch and have the
artwork's text and lines together. In fact, this is one of our biggest day to day
struggles with IV.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report