Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Notes in Drawing Views

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Cadmanto
1965 Views, 16 Replies

Text Notes in Drawing Views

Is there a way to associate a text string to a drawing view so when the view is moved

around the text goes with it and remains placed in accordance with the view?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Hi Cadmanto,

Here's a tip on this:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/04/associate-text-note-with-drawing-view.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 17

Curtis,

That is a great reference and I appreciate it, but the note I have that I want associated

is not linked to a custom property or needs to be.  It is just a label note.

In Solidworks as long as the view is highlighted if you add a text note it will automatically link

to the view.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 17
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

The tip from Curtis doesn't have to be a custom property.. It works the same with a regular "label note" as you call it. He just shows how to do it with properties too.

You can also do it by selecting a view and starting a sketch and placing the label note text in the sketch.. (but the leader method is faster)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 17

Hi Cadmanto,

It's been a while since I've used Solidworks, but it sounds like this is easier to do in that program. In Inventor using the leader trick is the best way to create text associative to the view. Note that if it's just a static text note, you can just type it into the text box and then hide the leader, as described in the link.

The other way to do this is to select the view, and then create a sketch, and then create the text as part of the sketch. but I think this adds a "layer" that is not needed for simple text.

FYI: You can go to this link and request that the Inventor developers improve this if you'd like:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 17
ampster402

same thing applies to plain text, just delete the leader afterwards.

HTH

ugh, in the amount of time it took to look over the link and make my reply, a couple of people stated the same thing.

Message 7 of 17

Thanks Curtis for the link.  I am sure that I will be having plenty of suggestions.

It is hard being very prolific in one software (i.e. Solidworks) and then switching to another.

But I am getting there.

I tried creating the text as part of the sketch and it still didn't link to the view.  Any chance you can post

a sample part/drawing file for me to evaluate?

Appreciate it.

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 17
Cadmanto
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks.  I am just going to have to keep working at this.  Haven't gotten it to work as of yet.

Scott

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 17
mcgyvr

Scott,

place your views in the drawing then click on the view you want your text associated to (a dotted rectangle should show up around the view) then press the "s" key. That will start the sketch being linked to that view.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 17
Cadmanto
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank you.  That worked like a charm!!!

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 17
qall

THIS IS NOT WHAT OP WAS LOOKING FOR I GUESS.

Message 12 of 17
johnsonshiue
in reply to: qall

Hi! I am sorry I am confused. Scott, the original poster, confirmed that Brian provided the solution and he marked it as a solution. Do you have a different issue to discuss? If yes, do you mind starting a new thread?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 17
qall
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Apologies, I forgot to turn off CAPS in the first comment.

Coming to the case,

He might have given up to the solution explained in the link provided by Curtis above.

What OP might be wondering about (and I too was looking for), is placing a text box directly into the drawing sheet and making it fixed/relative to a particular view.

Creating a sketch helps and possible but adds a step to process (not a biggie)

//S

Message 14 of 17

This method works.

Only problem is in the Leader Styles. 

jimmyflash_0-1605902586798.png

If you have different Style as standard, than is needed to change the style everytime. Otherwise you get some underlined strings.

jimmyflash_1-1605903737202.png

Would be great to find some more clever solution also for normal Text command.

Message 15 of 17
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jimmyflash

Hi Jimmy,

Couldn't you save the change in style back to Styles Library? Then the change will persist. Or, you create your own style and save it in the template file without using Styles Library.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 17
jimmyflash
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Okay, I should probably say "switch" instead of "change".

Of course I have created new style for such cases. But still need to switch the style in all cases, when need to attach note to something, because my default Note style is different (row 3 in my picture).

Btw. row 5 with deleted leader. What is this?! Okay it is probably because of center alignment.

Message 17 of 17
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jimmyflash

Hi Jimmy,

If possible, please share the files here. I would like to take a closer look.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report