Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Templates being overwritten with Default IV templates

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
bruce.buck
2594 Views, 7 Replies

Templates being overwritten with Default IV templates

I can’t tell why this is happening, but every once in awhile our templates get overwritten with the default Inventor template files. You can see in my screenshot below the backups I have of our official templates, and the modify dates. On the right is our template location and the files that get overwritten. The only thing I can think of that is common in each incident, is that it seems to happen right around the time that we're fixing an issue on someone's workstation where an Autodesk product isn't properly deployed (Group policy didn't install Inventor, or AutoCAD, or NavisWorks, etc). After the issue is corrected we go though the step of importing Application options and User commands. Then as soon as they go to start a new document, our company templates are no longer there, but get overwritten with the devault IV ones. There is also an "Old Templates" folder created with copies of our company templates.  Would the deployment of that be causing this, or is there something else going on?

Template-Overwrite.png

Inventor 2015 SP1 Build 203 Update 3
Vault Professional 2015 Build 19.1.13.0 Update 1
AutoCAD 2015 SP2 J.210.0.1
NavisWorks Manage 2015 SP3 12.3.0.115750
PLM360
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: bruce.buck

I would change the file name from Standard to something else unless you need the standard to be in the short-cut menu. This shows what "Standard" does. Possibly IT is overwriting your modified "Standard" with the default that ships and installs with Inventor. We save our company templates with the following name: Comp_A, Comp_B, Comp_C, Comp_D and Comp_E for our different sized sheets. If you use Comp_C as our main, we would do a Copy and Rename to get it to the file name "Standard". I have included w quick Chronicle link as how Inventor treats the name "Standard" https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/8b592e54-69ad-4a17-ad1d-a652609229e6

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
bruce.buck
in reply to: blair

The only issue with not naming the template "Standard", as I understand it, is that during Import and other operations that use a template (say, importing a STEP file, performing a Shrinkwrap on an assembly), IV looks for the template explicitly named "Standard". If it doesn't find it, it reverts to a default IV template to complete the operation. Since our Part and Assembly templates have custom coordinate systems/orientations, this wouldn't work.

Unless I'm not understanding this situation correctly. Is there a way to have custom-named templates and ensure IV uses those template on internal import/conversion operations?

Also, even if it didn't overwrite them (since they'd be named differently), we still wouldn't want new ones popping up and being made available to designers. We want to ensure everyone is only using the approved template files.

PLM360
Message 4 of 8
blair

When importing a STEP file, in your options there is no default template. You do have the option of choosing the units. On the Shrinkwrap the default shows "Standard.ipt" but you do have the option on the box (drop-down) to select what ever template you choose. We have a number of "Part" templates that have been set to the desired material and units we wish to use for our parts. Much easier to have the proper materials and appearance set for each template.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
bruce.buck
in reply to: blair

"When importing a STEP file, in your options there is no default template."

True, but internally IV is using a template file to output the imported geometry.

PLM360
Message 6 of 8
bob_holland

Bruce,

From what I am reading, this only happens after IT has to reinstall on someone's computer.

My guess it that your deployment is installing the default inventor Templates at the same location as all of your users are using.

I suggest that you check and modify your deployment(s) to install your Inventor templates into the default location:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Templates

Please check this information and have a great weekend.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 7 of 8
Roelof.Feijen

The best workaround that I found for this issue: http://microconceptstechnical.blogspot.nl/2013/12/inventor-2013-templates-overwritten-on.html
Roelof Feijen

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!
Message 8 of 8
bruce.buck
in reply to: Roelof.Feijen

Sorry for the late response, but I wanted to make sure I had time to test the solution. On import of STEP files, and during a Shrinkwrap operation, it appears to maintain our coordinate systems from our custom templates, even though the app options are set to local. So far this seems to be working; I'll report back if anything else comes up.

PLM360

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report