Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapered Pipe Pattern to a Flat Pattern Sheet Metal

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ryan
3046 Views, 13 Replies

Tapered Pipe Pattern to a Flat Pattern Sheet Metal

I am completely new to Inventor.  I have done the bottle tutorial and before that I used Inventor in HS for about 2 weeks.  I have done a couple small projects on it but nothing major.

I am trying to "unwrap" a pipe to a flat pattern for something that would be burnt out of flat sheet.

Here's what I've done so far:

- Made a 2D sketch of the profile of the pipe sidewall.

- Revolved that around the center of the pipe to create an 8" O.D. x .25" sidewall x 4" lg. pipe (this part appears exactly how I wanted it)

- I mitered each end of the pipe @ 1" to create a wedge (or a piece of pie) type-shape.  My part is now looking exactly like I need to look when complete.

- I cut a 1/16" sliver out of the pipe @ the short side of the pipe (2" lg. side after miters) to create something that could actually be "unwrapped" into a flat sheet.

This is where I run into problems:

- I select the inside face of the pipe

- Click "Create Flat Pattern"

- I get the attached error message in the photo.

I have attached a picture of the error message I am getting.  In the pic, you can also see my model (with rust finish on, looks nice) and the sliver that I have cut out at the top.

My question, what do I do from here to see the inside face of this pipe as a flat pattern capable of being burnt outo f sheet metal?

(Inventor 2013)

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: ryan

Here is one technique

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
ryan

JDMather,

I'm not sure I follow?  Can you elaborate on what I should do next?  I see your yellow line when I "Go to Flat Pattern".  What is that and how would I create that?  I have attached my part.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 14
JDMather

You Revolved a Rectangle as a solid body.

I revolved a line as as a surface body.

Revolve.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I then Trimmed the surface

and then Thickened the surface by the sheet metal Thickness parameter.

You did an Extrude-Cut that results in wrong geometry for sheet metal.

Sheet metal is uniform thickness with edge sides parallel to flat sides.

Trim.png

Message 6 of 14
JDMather

Similarly the Rip (Extrude3 in your part) should be done with a pie wedge shape rather than a rectangle to keep the sides parallel to the flat in the flat pattern.

Message 7 of 14
JDMather

Here is your part made from your sketches (with a couple of changes).

Make sure you set the Sheet Metal Defaults to the intended Thickness setting.

If you had done that (you had on .12 not .125) your original part would have unfolded but is not technically correct.

Thickness.png

Message 8 of 14
ryan

Ok, so I revised the file to be similar to what you have and it is still not working.  Wha am I doing wrong on this one?  Could you please elaborate as I do not have much experience with Inventor?  Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it.

Message 9 of 14
ryan

I only saws your first message when I posted this.  Let me try these things and see if I can get results.  Thank you.

Message 10 of 14
ryan

Lost again...

Attached is my new file.  I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.  I followed all your steps from scratch and it will not lay out the flat pattern correctly.

Message 11 of 14
ryan

Lost again...

Attached is my new file.  I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.  I followed all your steps from scratch and it will not lay out the flat pattern correctly.

Message 12 of 14
JDMather

If you go back to the original example I posted I did the Revolved surface 359.9° so that there was a small gap.

You did a Full revolve.

In the second example, instead of a partial revolve I did the Full revolve but then added a Rip feature to get the gap.

Message 13 of 14
ryan

JDMather,

I was finally able to recreate this successfully!  Thanks alot for your help!  I am taking an Inventor Basics seminar offered by Autodesk in a April but am still tinkering with it now.

Message 14 of 14
JDMather

Do this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

and these

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

I have another good link on my home computer that I'll post later.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report