Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing issue between Inventor & Excel.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
WillieArolf
639 Views, 7 Replies

Syncing issue between Inventor & Excel.

Hi,

I am really trying my best knowledge on how to solve the issue that I am facing in our office regarding the syncing of Excel and Inventor TABLE's. I did create other query regarding HYPERLINK but, I still have not got any answers. Anyway, I have this another query to ask.

1. Launch Excel and create a Table let say a Revision Table then, save it
2. Start or open a drawing in Inventor. Select the Annotate ribbon bar, then select General. The table dialog box will pop-up.
3. Select the Browse for file button.
4. Locate the Excel spreadsheet you want to add to your drawing. Pick OK on the Table dialog box.
5. Place the table on your drawing. (At this point the Table is kind of messy)
6. Adjust the table using the grips (activate the grips by selecting the table). You can then modify the table layout as needed.

Scenarion 1:
1. Open the Excel file that you have just inserted onto Inventor.
2. Now, try to add wordings on the file. Then, save it.
3. Go to the Inventor drawing. RMB the table that you have just inserted and select the "UPDATE" options.

In this instance, it will update the Table according to what you have just added on Excel.

Scenarion 2:
1. Double click the Table in Inventor to modify the spreadsheet. (Add some ROW with wordings)
2. Click APPLY of OK button once you have modified the table

At this point Open the Excel file. You will notice that It did not UPDATE the spreadsheet according to what you have just added.

Any workarounds or solutions, is well appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Willie
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019
Windows 7, 64-bit
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
WillieArolf
in reply to: WillieArolf

In addition to my query.

1. Double click the Table in Inventor to modify the spreadsheet.

2. Click on the "Table Layout" button. The Table Layout dialog pop-ups.

3. Under the Heading Placement options, change the orientation of the heading to "Bottom"

The heading indeed reversed the direction from Top to Bottom. But, the Rev Numbers, Descriptions, etc.. remains on Top direction.

To fully understand this, it would be easier if you create Rev. A, B, C, D with brief Descriptions.

I expect it to reversed as well.

Thanks & Regards,

Willie
Windows 7, 64-bit
Message 3 of 8
wimann

Not to be a stick in the mud but a couple of screen shots would be great. I don't typically employ the tools you're refering to so for me to fully understand it, I might need to see it.

Seems like your issue is that you want changes to the table made in Inventor to update the spreadsheet just as they do the other way around.

Thanks,

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 4 of 8
WillieArolf
in reply to: wimann

Well, hovering the mouse in to the buttons will prompt the Buttons name.

Please see below the images.

Thanks & Regards,

Willie
Windows 7, 64-bit
Message 5 of 8
wimann

Right. I get that.

I guess from the beginning you were asking if someone would retrace your steps and try to solve the problem. So with that said...

I went through the process of recreating your table and have not found a way to make the excel file reflect changes made in inventor. Unless, of course, you export the table and overwrite the original every time you want the changes in inventor to push to the spreadsheet.

For your second query, there is a button in the table formatting dialog to reverse the order of the rows which should allow you to have your title at the bottom and for your rows to read:

c

b

a

instead of

a

b

c

Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 6 of 8
WillieArolf

Thank you Will Mann for the excerted effort on this matter.

Yes, indeed and it is called "Heading Placement options" button. But, as I mentioned ONLY the heading that reverses NOT the data (a, b, c, etc...). These does not work on the Table created from Excel and import it to Inventor.

Thanks & Regards,

Willie
Windows 7, 64-bit
Message 7 of 8
wimann

Hm. When I switched it, it reversed the data rows as well.

All the same, when I tried, I was unable to get the table in excel to update automatically. So that's all I can really say.

Good luck with it. Hopefully someone out there knows how to do what you want to do.

-Will Mann

Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 8 of 8
WillieArolf

Well, I will just hope for a miracle to happen. Smiley Wink

It seems that Autodesk is busy developing new features rather than fixing problems encountered by users.

Thanks & Regards,

Willie
Windows 7, 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report