Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep-cut with a solid body

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
redbullah
5944 Views, 26 Replies

Sweep-cut with a solid body

Hello, i used to use Solidwork's sweep-cut with a solid body feature but i can't find it in Inventor now. Any suggestions?

Procedure:

In part file;

Create a second solid body (must be axis-symetric, like revolved feature),

Create a path that intersects with the solid (can be a line or a curve),

Sweep the solid along the path with cut command.

I need this where the sweep-cut with a profile is not enough, to get surfaces obtainable by milling on a cylindirical body on a helical path.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
BMiller63
in reply to: redbullah

There is a sweep cut shown toward the end of this video (if you can view youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5lf4sGAQfc

another couple here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE6IiqRLR5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmK45L23pu8

Message 3 of 27
redbullah
in reply to: BMiller63

Thanks for your response but in the videos sweep-cut is made by sketch profiles. I need a solid body instead of sketch profiles, or some way similiar to it.

Message 4 of 27
BMiller63

ahh, I think you're looking for the Combine command then, you can use it to cut one solid from another, provided of course that you have 2 solids.

Here's a video showing one part being cut from the other using the combine tool (toward the end at about 4:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11dyV4InbmI

Message 5 of 27
redbullah
in reply to: BMiller63

Not really, let me explain it in a simple way: I want to sweep a solid body along a path, and this body to cut other solid bodies on it's way. Just like milling...
Message 6 of 27
redbullah

Here is what I'm trying to tell: http://help.solidworks.com/2010/english/SolidWorks/sldworks/LegacyHelp/Sldworks/Features/HIDD_DVE_FE... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdPptjqst6U&feature=related (after 5:00) I want to define a tool body to sweep-cut like this. I hope linking solidworks stuff is no problem. 🙂
Message 7 of 27
yannick3

Hi

Just like milling...

I understand you correctly inventor can't do that.

but like milling, sweep path with 2d sketch is the same thing, but the only bug i've imagined in your design is that section is not symetric; for this purpose use two  2d sketch with the same path

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 8 of 27
redbullah
in reply to: yannick3

Inventor can't do that? I don't want to believe that... :'(

Message 9 of 27
JDMather

@redbullah wrote:

Inventor can't do that? I don't want to believe that... :'(

Attach your ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 10 of 27
BMiller63

thanks for the swx links, I see what you're after.

no, Invenrtor can't do it that way, but you may be able to use a standard 2D sweep to get the results you're after.

or you may not.

if you search this forum for keywords such as "helix sweep" or "end mill sweep" etc you'll likely find many examples of past topics on this, and some example files that may (or may not) help.

Inventor needs to have this ability. So you might go to this link and request it. Although I'm sure that's been done in the past, it still helps (I hope).

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

also, if you attach your file as JD mentioned I'm sure you'll get some help determining the best way to pull it off with the tools Inventor has.

Message 11 of 27
redbullah

@ JDMather,

I made up an example here. In this part file, I want the "tool body" to sweep-cut along the "path". The surface that I want can NOT be done by 2D sketch profiles, I ensure you i tried lots of variations.

Thanks for your interest.

Message 12 of 27
JDMather

@redbullah wrote:

@ JDMather,

As you see, that answer does not solve my problem, so why should i accept it as a solution? I am sure there is some way Inventor can do it.

I made up an example here. In this part file, I want the "tool body" to sweep-cut along the "path". The surface that I want can NOT be done by 2D sketch profiles, I ensure you i tried lots of variations.

Thanks for your interest.

As you should have seen redbullah the "Accept as Solution" is a canned tag-line that most of us have added to our signatures.

I have spent considerable time and effort on solutions to problems of this sort. (see http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%2011.pdf )

This method worked in Inventor or SolidWorks http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%2011.pdf before SWx added the functionality your referenced.

Since that time Inventor has also added functionality that might solve your problem more readily than the example in above tutorial - but it is not so easy to discover this new functionality.  When I get a chance I will see if it applies to your design intent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 13 of 27
redbullah
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, I figured it out after reading your other posts so i delete it.

Checked the pdf you sent, I appriciate your help but it still does not solve my problem. By the way, can you send the Cylindrical Cam.ipt file that named in the pdf?

No offense, I thank you so much 🙂

Message 14 of 27
JDMather

@redbullah wrote:

Checked the pdf you sent, I appriciate your help but it still does not solve my problem.

The tutorial was a general-purpose solution written years ago with old technology.
When (if) I get a chance I will show the way solve your problem (if possible) today in 2011 (not readily obvious).
I do not see any reason it should be particularly difficult - but I haven't started on it yet.

EESignature

Message 15 of 27
Doug_DuPont

I needed to change your process a bit. I made a sketch perpendicular to your path first. When sketched your ballnose endmill on that sketch. When I Offsetsurface your OD. When  sweep under type I selected Path & Guide Surface and cut the path. When I made sketches on both ends of the path and revolve cut the ends.

I see you are using an older version of Inventor so I did not post my part.

Doug

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 16 of 27
yannick3
in reply to: Doug_DuPont

Hi

''I made sketches on both ends of the path and revolve cut the ends.''

If you create prameter named Dia_endmill and create edge fillet (on both sweep's  end) with Dia-endmill/2 radius you save some time and click

Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 17 of 27
redbullah

dear Doug_DuPont,

that was the first method i tried to create semi-spheric ends, but no matter i create sketches at the ends and revolve-cut them, i've failed to get the absolute right tangency. but your method seems like a success. if it is inventor 2011, i can check it out in the office, can you send the .ipt file please? by the way your tool body profile's axis seems like parpendicular to part's axis and intersects with it, right? i need some angle for tool body's profile.

thanks for your efforts 🙂

Message 18 of 27
Doug_DuPont

Here is your Part1 that I mofified.

We design and make a lot of cutting tools and if Inventor had the ability to sweep cut with a toolbody it would help us so much.

Maybe JD can look at it also and give us 2 cents also.

Remember to drag the EOP marker to the bottom of the browser.

Douglas DuPont
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit
Message 19 of 27
redbullah

thanks for your reply. but i can't see the modified part in Inventor View 2011 x64. have you got any ideas? 

Message 20 of 27
Doug_DuPont

Did you pull the end of part marker down in the browser?

Doug

Douglas DuPont
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums