Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces visible in IDW

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
rhasell
1886 Views, 7 Replies

Surfaces visible in IDW

Hello all

I have a strange and sometimes irritating issue.

Some of my parts are derived surface parts, I then create solids from the surfaces.

The problem I have is:

- The surfaces sometimes come through by default on my drawing views, I then have to track the offending part down and switch off the visibility of the surface

- On the odd occasion, I have not been able to switch off the surface visibility, and the only work around was to derive the derived part into a new part and use that.

Notes:

I am not sure if the surface visibility is switched off when placing the parts in the Assemblies. (Can't remember)

I work with tensile membrane structures, these surfaces are sometimes huge, with millions of individual triangles creating a mesh, depending on the size of the membrane, I will choose not to dislay the surface as Inventor cannot handle the calculations.

Is there a setting to have this switched off by default, I have perhaps missed?

Thanks.

surface.JPG

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CAD-One
in reply to: rhasell

There might be better approach or solution. But, one of the work around to have surfaces not show jn drawings is to use delete bodies.

In the part file use delete bodies and stkect the surfaces. Now you will find only the solids on drawing.
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 3 of 8
rhasell
in reply to: CAD-One

Hi

Thanks

Please explain the Delete body method, are you refering to a multi-bodied part ? If so, I use this method as well.

Below is a small example of my method of deriving a surface model.

surface 2.JPG

umbrella.JPG

Reg
Message 4 of 8
CAD-One
in reply to: rhasell

In the part file; when you can see both surface and solid start the delete face command.
http://docs.autodesk.com/INVPRO/2010/ENU/Autodesk%20Inventor%202010%20Help/index.html?url=WS1a919382...
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 5 of 8
tjvz85

It works, Thank you so much. I have been looking for a solution for almost a week and nothing worked.

Thanks again

Theo van Zyl
Message 6 of 8
thedelee

But my derived surface cannot be deleted it would defeat the purpose of using the skeleton to be able to manipulate all of the parts. I create a skeleton and derive it into all of my parts to chabnge sizes and speed up copy design, it takes forever to turn iff the surface viz in the drawing views, and they show 8up no matter how careful I turn them off in the parts.

Message 7 of 8
RobJV
in reply to: thedelee

First off, make sure that you understand this: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017...

Second, I think it is a bug inside Inventor or an issue that I never fully figured out.  Within the context of the assembly, you may be working inside of the part, turning surfaces off.  Everything looks great as you back out to look at the assembly.  You go to the drawing and insert the views of the assembly and now these surfaces reappear.

Instead of turning the surfaces off at the part level within the assembly, you must separately open the individual part and turn off the surface there.  I don't know why this is and have never understood it.

Rob

Message 8 of 8
rhasell
in reply to: RobJV

Hi

I agree, definitely a bug. (well...maybe not)

My work around:

At a part level

switch off the visibility of the surfaces

create a view rep. (I don't bother changing the name, just hit the button.)

All that's left now is to remember to actually do it, as most times it only rears its ugly head during detailing, then I have to go back and "fix" the problem.

Something just occurred to me...

Looking at my screen at the moment, I am going to test creating the view rep in my template, as I am making an assumption that the view rep works the same as in the assembly environment, where the master is locked, thus making everything visible. So in other words, it's might not be a bug, just a mindset change ?

I will post back with results.

Reg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report