Inventor General Discussion

Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 1 of 4 (483 Views)

Surfaces visible in IDW

483 Views, 3 Replies
09-09-2012 04:24 PM

Hello all

I have a strange and sometimes irritating issue.

Some of my parts are derived surface parts, I then create solids from the surfaces.

The problem I have is:

- The surfaces sometimes come through by default on my drawing views, I then have to track the offending part down and switch off the visibility of the surface

- On the odd occasion, I have not been able to switch off the surface visibility, and the only work around was to derive the derived part into a new part and use that.

Notes:

I am not sure if the surface visibility is switched off when placing the parts in the Assemblies. (Can't remember)

I work with tensile membrane structures, these surfaces are sometimes huge, with millions of individual triangles creating a mesh, depending on the size of the membrane, I will choose not to dislay the surface as Inventor cannot handle the calculations.

Is there a setting to have this switched off by default, I have perhaps missed?

Thanks.

surface.JPG

Reg
Autodesk PDS Ultimate 2015 Update 1 Build 159
Intel Core i7 (950@3.07GHz)/Win7x64 (Home) - 12GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Please Give Kudo's / accept as a solution if it fixes your problem.
Mentor
CAD-One
Message 2 of 4 (468 Views)

Re: Surfaces visible in IDW

09-09-2012 07:14 PM in reply to: rhasell
There might be better approach or solution. But, one of the work around to have surfaces not show jn drawings is to use delete bodies.

In the part file use delete bodies and stkect the surfaces. Now you will find only the solids on drawing.
C1
Inventor Professional 2013
Vault Collaboration 2013
Valued Mentor
rhasell
Message 3 of 4 (462 Views)

09-09-2012 08:00 PM in reply to: CAD-One

Hi

Thanks

Please explain the Delete body method, are you refering to a multi-bodied part ? If so, I use this method as well.

Below is a small example of my method of deriving a surface model.

surface 2.JPG

umbrella.JPG

Reg
Autodesk PDS Ultimate 2015 Update 1 Build 159
Intel Core i7 (950@3.07GHz)/Win7x64 (Home) - 12GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Please Give Kudo's / accept as a solution if it fixes your problem.
Mentor
CAD-One
Message 4 of 4 (449 Views)

09-09-2012 10:46 PM in reply to: rhasell

In the part file; when you can see both surface and solid start the delete face command.
http://docs.autodesk.com/INVPRO/2010/ENU/Autodesk%20Inventor%202010%20Help/index.html?url=WS1a919382...
C1
Inventor Professional 2013
Vault Collaboration 2013

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube