Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces to Solid

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Culdagor
449 Views, 15 Replies

Surfaces to Solid

I know this has been asked many times, but I'm not able to bring these surfaces into a solid. Can someone point me in the right direction? This file was originally imported from a STP file.
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: Culdagor

Welcome to the forum.

Usually when you can't thicken a surface it means you have surfaces that have intersections that cannot mesh.

What exactly are you experiencing?  What messages?

What version are you running.  Can you post this file here in this thread?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 16
JDMather

Right click on the STEP file.

Select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

or

read this

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
Culdagor
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you. I'm attaching the step.
Message 5 of 16
Culdagor

Is there a limit to posting attachments? I don't see neither my original .ipt file nor do I see now the .stp file attached to my posts.
Message 6 of 16
JDMather

Read response #3. - you should be attaching a *.zip, not a *.stp

How large is the zipped file?

What browser are you using to view this forum?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
Cadmanto

I don't either.

Just save it to your local and then browse to where it is under the attachments portion at the bottom of the responding screen.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 8 of 16
Culdagor

I zipped before I attached I included both the stp and ipt. The zip file is under 4Mb and I'm using Firefox. In case I'm just being obtuse in some way I've setup a D/L link: www.oficio-belico.pt/downloads/dragon.zip
Message 9 of 16
karthur1

Not saying that its not impossible to get this into a solid, but it will take some work.

Message 10 of 16
JDMather

Explain what you have tried to get this surface model to a solid.

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
Culdagor

First imported and copied the composite surface to a new group of surfaces, I then drew "filling" surfaces to the open spaces on the mouth, eyes and neck. Afterwards I've tried stitching everything together but it produced "no meaningful result". I'm guessing the main problem is the lack of "air tightness" but I can't figure how to solve that.
Message 12 of 16
CCarreiras

Olá.

The surfaces are open, so it will never be a solid.

You have to trim the surfaces if you want to have some kind of thikness in every surface, or close all the surfaces to have a big solid. Now, depends of what you want... but for sure... it will give some time to become a solid.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 13 of 16
JDMather

@Culdagor wrote:
....the lack of "air tightness" but I can't figure how to solve that.

This one would probably take me several days to complete as there are a lot of open seams and overlapping seams.  Also, there are some single side surfaces (webbing) that would be isolated separately and Thickened.
I am more familiar with the older Construction Environment rather than the Repair Environment, but in one of those environments is where I would tackle this surface-by-surface until I had a "water-tight" envelope.  Not really a job for a beginner.

If this is a school assignment - I think I would pick another project.

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
Culdagor

Thanks, this was a personal project. I've built a "botafogo" with a Dragon head as well, but this Dragon head is far better looking so I thought I could make it a solid and then use it as a cooler looking "botafogo". I wasn't going anywhere with easy and off the shelf solutions so I figured I would ask. I'll do it slowly when time permits. And yes I'd rather have a single solid. Thanks for your help.
Message 15 of 16
CCarreiras

Botafogo...lololol.

Bem, trabalhar com superficies é uma questão "mais à frente", se precisares de ajuda, diz qqr coisa.

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 16 of 16
Culdagor
in reply to: CCarreiras

Obrigado, eu uso o Inventor como ferramenta para criar uma série de coisas mais a nivél pessoal. Nunca tive formação formal de Inventor e extrapolei muito do que sabia dos outros CAD, várias vezes tentei encontrar boa formação, mas nunca nenhuma me pareceu que me poderia dar mais do que o que vou aprendendo on-line e por mim. Este é um caso onde claramente necessitaria de formação.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report