Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Pro 3

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ahogue
16226 Views, 9 Replies

Surface Pro 3

Hello. I'm looking to reduce my tech spendings as much as possible.

Ultimately, I would like a new Tablet and a new Ultrabook/Gaming Laptop.

However, recent circumstances have limited me to choosing one or the other.

That said, I'm Considering the Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

Intel Core i7 ( 1.7GHz - 3.3GHz ) - 256 GB storage and 8 GB of RAM - $1,549

The specifications are really impressive for a tablet device, but obviously cannot be compared to the performance that an ultrabook would offer.

According to my research, it seems to run some graphically intense software at Decent speeds.

My question is: How Slowly would Inventor Pro 2015 run on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3? Would it run at a reasonable pace? Would it run slowly, but good enough for mobile use when I am away from work? If this tablet simply does not have the guts to execute a a few simple features, Is there a tablet that will? Do you have any other suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: ahogue

The only issue may be with the graphics card, CPU and memory look fine. Possibly the 12" screen may be a real downer when working with Inventor.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
ahogue
in reply to: blair

Despite Not having a Dedicated GPU like Nvidia or something like that, What kind of impact would intel HD graphics have on the performance of inventor?

Avery Hogue
Drafting & Design

HLS HARD-LINE SOLUTIONS INC.
53 Main Street West, Dowling, ON Canada P0M 1R0
Tel: +1.705.855.1310
Fax: +1.705.855.9463
HARD-LINE.COM

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.
Message 4 of 10
blair

A few web-sites, don't recommend it for "Gamming", so I can't really see it working well for Inventor. Possibly small parts and assemblies but not on larger models. The 12" screen would be a real pain to work with.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 10
ahogue
in reply to: blair

I can see the logic saying it's not meant for gaming. To game properly you need good frame rates, at least 2gb of gddr5 and a larger screen, yes.
I've used inventor on small 13" laptops - it wasn't as nice as my two 27" work monitors obviously but it did the trick. I don't need it to run like it does on my computer. Just "good enough" for mobile use. The majority of my work will be for my work PC.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or advice?

Avery Hogue
Drafting & Design

HLS HARD-LINE SOLUTIONS INC.
53 Main Street West, Dowling, ON Canada P0M 1R0
Tel: +1.705.855.1310
Fax: +1.705.855.9463
HARD-LINE.COM

This e-mail is confidential and it is intended only for the addressees. Any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail and delete the message from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which may arise as a result of the e-mail transmission.
Message 6 of 10
mark.young

I've got Inventor 2014 installed on a Surface Pro 1, and it works pretty good. So that's an i5 with only 4GB. On must stuff it's almost as snappy as my work PC with a quad core Xeon.

Obviously rendering takes a long time and can kill the battery in around an hour! But generally, apart from the small screen, it's very usable.

Message 7 of 10

it will run, i got 2014 running on an atom processor, (like a dog)  also take a look at the Razer edge pro, fatter but specs look good

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 8 of 10
ahogue
in reply to: stephengibson76

I did consider the Razer Edge Pro. However it's design and features didn't quite suit my needs or taste. Based on this discussion I feel that the Surface Pro 3 will be an acceptable solution to my problems. That said - I really hope that I can one day find a tablet with a decent GPU as well. If anyone can find a Tablet or Hybrid laptop with a GPU (other than the Razer Edge Pro), please don't hesitate to contact me!

Message 9 of 10
mark.young

Using Inventor with OneNote has really helped me. Take a screenshot, sketch over it in OneNote. The OneNote app on the surface is lovely and sketching is smooth n slick Woman LOL

Message 10 of 10
DAVIDFLATT2338

I use Inventor 15 and 16 on a Surface Pro 3, and it mostly works fine.  The small screen is a drawback, but for showing people the work while traveling, or for making field edits, it's good.  The screen features are fine enough, just small. 

d

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report