Valued Mentor
meck
Message 1 of 6 (512 Views)
Accepted Solution

Suppress Base Mirror Feature

512 Views, 5 Replies
07-06-2012 08:28 AM

Hi All,

Is it possible to create feature A mirror it to create feature B and suppress feature A without suppressing or crashing feature B? What I have are very complicated left hand and right hand features. I could create the B feature again but there are a lot of dimensions. I could mirror the sketch, but there are formulas controlled by iLogic in them, and mirroring a sketch seems to break those formulas and I only get the dimension. 

If it is not possible it would be an excellent addition to 2014!

Thanks in advance.

Mike Eck
Senior Designer/ CAD Programmer
Howden North America
Using Inventor 2013
*Expert Elite*
dan_inv09
Message 2 of 6 (498 Views)

Re: Suppress Base Mirror Feature

07-06-2012 11:58 AM in reply to: meck

If you really just want to know if it is possible to suppress a feature and keep it's mirror, then no. But...

If you choose "Mirror a solid" instead of "Mirror individual features"  there is a checkbox for "Remove Original".

What does your part look like (i.e. please attach a picture or file)? Is this feature dependent on other features need to not be mirrored?

If you tell us a little more about what you want to do and there might be a way to get what you need.

Valued Mentor
meck
Message 3 of 6 (488 Views)

07-06-2012 01:22 PM in reply to: dan_inv09

The features are solid bodies. I was trying to keep it simple by not bring them up. Using iLogic code I want to switch back and forth between the base feature and the mirror feature by supressing the one I do not need. I cannot remove the original feature, because I will still need it in certain cases. I'm not sure how my company would react to me even showing a picture of our models. They are very protective of them.

I hope this helps.

Mike Eck
Howden North America
Using Inventor 2013
Valued Mentor
IgorMir
Message 4 of 6 (481 Views)

07-06-2012 04:18 PM in reply to: meck

Hi Mike

If the idea of mirroring the whole solid with suppress original doesn't work for you then you can try to use a shared sketch for all the down stream features you want to manipulate. The thing is - you have to exclude dependency between features. That's where the shared sketch comes into the picture.

To represent different configuration of the model I would use old fashion iPart.:smileyhappy:

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Valued Mentor
meck
Message 5 of 6 (465 Views)

07-08-2012 06:00 AM in reply to: IgorMir

Thank for the response! I do use sharded sketches when possible, but there are cases where the mirrored part does not mirror across the same plane that the sketch is on. For example I may extrude the base part in the Z direction, but want to mirror it across the YZ plane.

My parts are a bit more complicated than iParts alone can handle. I need iLogic to make decisions for me based on certain cases.

Mike Eck
Howden North America
Using Inventor 2013
*Pro
sbixler
Message 6 of 6 (447 Views)

07-09-2012 04:48 AM in reply to: meck

Sounds as if derived parts would be helpful.  For complex, or even simple, mirrored parts, I do the mirroring as multi-body solids, then derive to individual right/left hand parts.  For your case where the mirrored features are various multibody solids, you could derive several solids into each finished part.

Or, I could be misunderstanding completely what you're trying to do.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube