Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Style Library Intent

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
TheRham
407 Views, 5 Replies

Style Library Intent

I'm largely self-taught on Inventor, and I've come a long way in the last 4 years.  However, this comes with it's own pitfalls, and I kinda think I may have fell into one... a little one, but I'd like to get out of it, or at least understand it better.

I'm not understanding the PURPOSE or INTENT of the Style Library.  What we did here, is we defined our styles (dimension styles, layer styles... so on) in a template file, and we all basically use the same template.  Now, I understand how to save these to the style library, and I've resolved all the error messages... this is not exactly one of those kind of threads.

My question is, what is the point of the style library?  What is the advantage of having this style library, rather than simply defining styles in a shared template file?

What do YOU do when you get a new release of Inventor?  Do you migrate all your old styles from the previous style library to the new one, or do you redefine the new style library w/ your company standards?  Also, "why" do you do whatever you do?

What I have done (for better or for worse), is I basically go into the Style Library Manager, and blow it out... delete the existing styles, then open the old template, migrate it to 2013, and that way, avoid any style conflicts.  This method seems more cumbersome than it should be, and is probably horrible for some reason.  Dear God, what have I done? /screamofanguish

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: TheRham

Hi TheRham, 

The big difference between template controled styles and style libraries is the ability to push changes to styles out to existing drawings.

For instance, if I'm using a style library and let's say I've used a dimension style with ComicSans font to create all of my drawings. But then 2 years later I realize that everyone laughs at my drawings, and I so decide I want all of my dims to use Tahoma font. So, I can change the dimension style in the style library and all of my drawings will update automatically with no extra effort, because they are looking at the style library for the dimension style.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 6
TheRham
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Now what's wrong w/ ComicSans? 😛

AH... /facepalm

OK, that makes sense.  Frankly, I'm a little leary of things which alter an array of existing drawings passively like that... but I'll contemplate this... thanks.

Message 4 of 6
SBix26

The Styles Library does not update drawings automatically, unless you have a macro or iLogic or something that does it.  You have to open each drawing and deliberately update the styles from the library.

The problem with keeping all your styles in your templates is that they are all in there (bigger files), and they're all completely independent.  If you find on that needs to be updated, you have to go find another file that has the updated style, export it, then import it into the file you're working in.  Kind of an administrative nightmare.

I try to have only the styles actually in use in my documents, purge the rest.  They're always instantly available from the SL.

Message 5 of 6
TheRham

Ah, ok... good to know.  May have to go that way.  Frankly, I can't say as it's been a problem... I don't know about a "nightmare" scenario, but I can see the value there.  Thanks all.

Message 6 of 6
dick_upton

I was in your position up to about 3 years ago when I discovered the power of the style library.

Then I discovered an addin by Rene' J that even more greatly simplifies pushing style changes.

Suggest you check this out: http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8018

Pretty powerful tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report