Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structured BOM

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
LonesomeJoe
1914 Views, 43 Replies

Structured BOM

I need to make a spreadsheet with a BOM of an assembly showing all the model files for a client.  When I use the "Structured BOM" option, the BOM omits the Phantom Assemblies.  The client wants every file, is there an option which will show all the files?  Thanx.

43 REPLIES 43
Message 41 of 44
tmoney2007
in reply to: harco

I'm curious if there's a way to get a parent-child style BOM out of it instead of an indented one.

Rather than having it broken down into levels, it normalized the structure.

It is of the format:
Parent,Child,Quantity
Assembly1,Part1,2
Assembly1,Part2,1
Assembly1,Assembly2,1
Assembly2,Part3,1
Assembly2,Part4,4

Its nice because you can sort the rows without losing the relationships. Its usually how BOMs get stored in databases. Its a bit harder to read, but it is a much, much more robust format for transferring BOMs from one system to another.
Message 42 of 44
harco
in reply to: tmoney2007

You would need to manipulate in excel.

Inventor exports one row one item (assembly or part).

Message 43 of 44
tmoney2007
in reply to: harco

Sounds like the format is confusing still.

It doesn't add extra information, it just presents it differently. In the format, the first column is the parent and the second is the child.  So, there is a row for each component of each assembly that exists in the BOM.  This way it isn't dependant on the order of the rows and its actually less confusing once you get your head around it.

At any rate, Inventor doesn't do it, which isn't particularly surprising. It isn't as easy for a person to read. The advantage is that it is much much better for exporting BOMs and importing them into other systems.

Message 44 of 44
j_steenbergen
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

The .idw trick didn't work for me and I didn't want to change the BOM structure to Normal on all levels. Because it would be both very time consuming and very risky. If I would accidentally save it I'd be in big trouble. 🙂

BUT, I found a better workaround! Just save the whole assembly as STEP > Open Step > Open BOM viewer > Export structured all levels > done!

Unfortunately part number is now empty, but in my case filename = part number, so I added that as column in the BOM viewer.

EDIT: also don't forget to set your view representation to master before exporting to step! Parts that are set to invisible, will be not be exported tot the STEP file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report