Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structured BOM Error

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
LonesomeJoe
4731 Views, 6 Replies

Structured BOM Error

I'm getting an error when I make a Structured BOM of an assembly.  There is a sub-assembly which does not appear in the BOM, even though it is in the assembly.  Curiously, the components of the subassembly show in the BOM, but with a strange blue arrow beside them (see attached "BOM_Error.jpg").  The BOM for the assembly was set to "Phantom", when I tried setting it to "Normal, the sub-assembly wouldn't show, and neither would its components.  What is this?

IV R2011

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cwhetten
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

It sounds like normal behavior, up until you said this:

@LonesomeJoe wrote:

...when I tried setting it to "Normal, the sub-assembly wouldn't show, and neither would its components.

That should have made the sub-assembly show up.

Can you post a screenshot of the BOM's Model Data tab?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 3 of 7
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: cwhetten

Here 'tis.  Interesting... the Brake bracket Application doesn't show up in this one...

Message 4 of 7
mrattray

Did you set it to reference in the context of the assembly (via right click)?
I suggest you consult the help files for an explanation of the different BOM structures and their functions.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 7
cwhetten

It's hard to compare between your BOM and the browser, since the browser shows the file name of the component and the BOM shows the part number.  But looking at the title column I can see something similar to the component in question:

BOM Question.PNG

Add the filename column to both the Model Data and Structured tabs, then expand the columns so the filenames can be read.  Then repost the screenshots.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 6 of 7
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: cwhetten

That's exactly what happened.  I expected the BOM to be in the same order as the model tree, so I didn't look farther down.  Thanx, all for your help!!

Message 7 of 7
cwhetten

Glad to help.

Just FYI, normally the BOM is in the same order as the browser.  But it is possible to sort the BOM in other ways too.  It looks like in the image you posted that the BOM was sorted by the Part Number column (see image below).  This can be done by clicking on any column header, just like most windows-style lists.  Clicking it again will sort it in the opposite direction (ascending vs. descending order).  Unless you have renumbered the rows, clicking on the Item column will sort them as shown in the browser.

BOM Question 2.PNG

And thanks for marking a solution.  This is helpful for other users who might have the same or a similar question.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report