Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress calculation Inventor 2010

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Mustang69
340 Views, 5 Replies

Stress calculation Inventor 2010

Hi

I have a problem when calculating thinn sheet metal designs.
It seams there is a problem with the meshing but I cant solve it

The part i am working on now has 1,25mm thick material and when I run a simulation I emidiately get an error for the meshing.
se attached picture.

This example has a bend applied but i get this error message even on flat sheets

How do i solve this problem?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
wayz
in reply to: Mustang69

Much Easier if you post the actual file
Message 3 of 6
swalton

The issue is that your part is very thin compared to its length and width. Try to refine your element size so that you can have several elements across the minimum dimension of your part.

The FEA in IV2010 does not have 2d plane elements which would be a better choice for large sheetmetal parts. You may have to look into a standalone package to get the results you want.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 6
BMiller63

If I'm not mistaken you can use the Local Mesh Control in 2010 to manually mesh certain faces where needed.

Also I think in the past I've found that unchecking the setting for small geometry features helped with this, but I'm going from memory.

Either way I'd check the mesh settings and adjust as needed.
Message 5 of 6
BMiller63

also, it looks like you may be running the FEA on the assembly. If so there is an option to mesh based on the part dims rather than the assembly dims that may be helpful. I think that's in the mesh settings too.
Message 6 of 6
veikko.holvio

Hi,

does anyone know what is the maximum allowed element distortion (element maximum dimension / minimum dimension) in 2010? This applies to thin-walled part where you get the error message like Mustang69 relatively easily. I know this element type is not actually meant for thin-wall analysis, but it is the only one included...

Veikko

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report