Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress Analysis on Levees made of dirt or sand

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
galaxydrums
1901 Views, 4 Replies

Stress Analysis on Levees made of dirt or sand

I am a student using Inventor 2013 Professional. I'm working on a project for school comparing levees made of different materials. I've created multiple levees from different materials. I can perform stress analysis on some of the levees, but when I try to do the simulation on levees made with dirt or sand, I get an error stating "Some materials are not defined correctly. Please assign a valid override material in the Assign Materials dialog." Does anyone know how I can create levees with these materials and perform the stress analysis on them like I can with metal and concrete levees?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: galaxydrums

Probably not a correct use of Inventor (FEA limited to anisotropic materials) but edit your material and assign some relative Yield Strength and other appropriate material properties as needed.  Might be able at least get some comparisons even if not "perfect"

You aren't going to actually build these are you?

Attach your file here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
blair
in reply to: JDMather

The MatWeb site might help with the materials. As JD posted, this in not what Inventor was designed for. Since Inventor doesn't have calculate hydrostatic loads, you would have to use the Split-Surface tool to allow for different loads along your Levy at different heights.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 5
galaxydrums
in reply to: blair

JD and Blair,

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I am not planning on actually building these. I am taking a modeling class in school and learned how to use Inventor in class. I thought it might be a good tool to model and use for simulations for my science project on levees. I hadn't thought as deep as the hydrostatic pressure and how to specfically simulate it, at least, not yet. 

Is there a different Autodesk application you would reccomend for simulating stress and pressure on a levee?

I'm a student, and still learning, but I pick up things pretty fast.

Thanks again to both of you.

Message 5 of 5
blair
in reply to: galaxydrums

Good question, you might look at Autodesk Simulation Mechanical, it handles Hydrostatic pressure. Never used it for dirt/sand and Levees.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report