Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress Analysis and Mesh View

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jca45
2266 Views, 14 Replies

Stress Analysis and Mesh View

Hello everyone, I am new here so any help would be appreciated. I have constructed a car frame in autodesk inventor using frame generator and now I want to perform stress analysis on it. The problem I am having is the mesh won't finish, but no errors are presented.

I let the mesh run overnight but the progress bar only gets about a quarter of the way done but does not finish, although it still shows that it is generating the mesh. Any help would be appreciated and I will attach the file for anyone who might be able to help me and give me pointers as to what the problem is.

Thanks again.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
BMiller63
in reply to: jca45

the file you attached is the assembly file, in order for any one to use it you will need to zip up all of the part files as well.
Message 3 of 15
jca45

I have zipped the files but apparently it is to large to upload to this site. I will work on it to see if I can get it smaller. Right now the zip file is about 10mb.
Message 4 of 15
henderh

Hi jca45,

Could you shoot me an email and we can set up an FTP?

Thanks, -Hugh (Autodesk)

hughDOThendersonATautodeskDOTcom

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 5 of 15
henderh

Hi jca45,

Thank you for your email. I've replied with our FTP information.

Best regards, -Hugh (Autodesk)

Hugh Henderson
Message 6 of 15
exarconcept

I am having a similar problem with mesh, autocontacts and simulate.

On some asseblies when trying to run either of these the green progress bar makes it about 3/4 of the way and then disapears. No error or warning info.

If it is related to lack of ram it is difficult to diagnose as I have monitored the progress in task manager/processes and I am barely using 2Gigs of ram.
Message 7 of 15
henderh

Hi exarconcept,

Are you using R2010 or R2011 AIP? 32-bit or 64 bit?

If the assemblies are too large to post to the forum, please send me an email with the assemblies attached, or we can set up an FTP.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks, -Hugh (Autodesk)

Hugh Henderson
Message 8 of 15
exarconcept

Hello Hugh,
Thanks for the reply. I am using Inventor 2010 Professional on an XP Pro 64x system. Intel Core 2 cpu 6600@2.4GHz, 8.00GB of Ram
I am able to test simple assemblies and add components slowly though there is always a limit (13 parts last time) and then the situation occurs.
If I bring in an assembly already loaded with parts (less than 20) I am not able to populate the automatic contacts, meshing or complete a simulation (i know you can't run simulation without auto contacts, one already had contacts set). If it is memory related...
How do I turn on the memory consumption icon at the bottom of the screen so I can see what Inventor thinks? (Lost it when I upgraded to 2010). Also is windows virtual memory related? I have not had any windows errors.
Lastly, are there any settings for Inventor to tell it how much memory It can use.

Thanks, Mike
Message 9 of 15
henderh

Hi Mike,

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

I am able to test simple assemblies and add components slowly though there is always a limit (13 parts last time) and then the situation occurs.

There is no limit we set on the number of components. It really comes down to the amount of available RAM and processor speed. What sets the "limit" is the mesh size (total number of nodes and elements). This determines the size of the matrices we have to solve as well.

How do I turn on the memory consumption icon at the bottom of the screen so I can see what Inventor thinks? (Lost it when I upgraded to 2010). Also is windows virtual memory related? I have not had any windows errors.

What you're observing is the correct behavior on 64-bit Inventor. Since it is 64-bit, we are a "Large Memory Aware" program with respect to the 64-bit Microsoft operating system. This means that there can be up to Terabytes of available memory (RAM + Virtual). Therefore, the Capacity Meter has limited use, since it will never get into the yellow or red zone (practically speaking) thus its removal. The Capacity Meter still has its use on 32-bit Inventors, since Inventor is limited to 2-3 Gigabytes memory that the O/S can allocate to a particular program.

Lastly, are there any settings for Inventor to tell it how much memory It can use. It should be displayed in Help => About. There is also a tool in the Inventor/bin folder called Memprobe.exe which can monitor the amount of memory committed, used and wasted. Also it will query the amount of virtual memory used (which may be ~100x slower than RAM)

I would like to mention that we have made countless improvements in our R2011 mesher. I suspect there may be some meshing issues that results in your "no mesh or results, no error message" situation with your particular datasets. This is a rare situation that we'd reallly like to reproduce and address as soon as possible.

There may be some problematic geometry that the mesher has trouble handling, such as particular topologies not matching well, non-manifold geometry, etc.

If you're intersted in the processes involved, Volmesh.exe is our meshing engine, and WizStress.exe is our solving engine. You can witness their progress, RAM used and CPU % in Task Manager during various computation types.

There is an order of operations that we must follow in order to solve a simulation. First, we must compute the contacts, since the mesh needs to know this in order to refine and match the meshes at the contact interface geometry (faces, edges, etc.) Next, we have to mesh in order to generate the nodes and elements. Finally, we can solve incorperating the loads and constraints.

You can Solve after defining the boundary conditions, and the contacts and meshing will occur implicitly (automatically). Or, you can mesh and Contacts will be computed implicitly. Therefore, we can first try contacts explicitly, then meshing explicitly, and finally solving. This may help pin down in which operation you are observing the issue.

It would be great if you could upgrade to R2011. If you could send Autodesk the datasets we can check using both R2010 and R2011 release versions. Installing the latest Service Packs may be able to help, but we cannot guarantee that it will for sure with this type of issue.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely, -Hugh (Autodesk)

Hugh Henderson
Message 10 of 15
exarconcept

Hello Hugh,
I have the latest 2011 version though have not updated yet simply because it is new and I am concerned of new issues it may create.
However...if you are able to take my calls and would like to set up a telephone call, I am willing to help you regarding debugging and possible input on your existing software. I am a subscription user and as long as I have some level of support will continue.
Another topic is manuals for your product especially FEA, I am looking for something more in-depth as to how and why Inventor makes decisions to help me fully understand it and utilize it's potential.
I appreciate your conversation, I hope we can continue.
Mike
Message 11 of 15
henderh

Hi Mike,

I will definitely take you up on your offer. Please shoot me an email and we can set up video conference and exchange phone numbers, etc.

Thank you, -Hugh (Autodesk)

Hugh Henderson
Message 12 of 15
Mark.Hugo

I'm having trouble meshing a model.

Here's the outside of the Tank.

It's inventor 2013, the built in FEA product.

Any suggestions?

Mark H. Minnesota

Message 13 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Mark.Hugo

I didn't see any analysis (started setup) in your file.

I recommend finding the help on Thin Bodies...

Thin Bodies.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 14 of 15
Mark.Hugo
in reply to: JDMather

Sure, where is the help on THIN BODIES?

Sorry to be dense.

Mark H.

Best regards

Mark Hugo
Design Engineer

GEA Process Engineering Inc.
GEA Process Engineering
Phone +1 715 377 5744
mark.hugo@gea.com
www.gea.com

We live our values.
Excellence * Passion * Integrity * Responsibility * GEA-versity

1600 O'Keefe Road, Hudson, WI, 54016, USA

Confidentiality note
This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This e-mail may be an attorney-client communication and is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any attachment from your system. Thank you!
Message 15 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Mark.Hugo

What book are you using?

Find Thin Bodies.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report