Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stress Analysis Help

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
afarmer
358 Views, 8 Replies

Stress Analysis Help

I'm just starting to play around with some of Inventor 2014's stress analysis features and could use a little help. One thing I was having a problem with is applying a force where I want to. I wanted to apply a force to a face but not in the center point, is there any easy way to do this? The best workaround I came up with was creating another very small face with the center where I wanted the force to be applied. The next thing I'm wondering is if there is a way to test what force would cause the part to break. So far I've just been inceasing the force on each simulation until I find a force that's safety factor is close to 1

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: afarmer

Use the Split command to split a face.

(attach your file here if you can't figure it out)

Inventor FEA does not test if a part will "break".

Safety Factor below one does not mean the part fractures - it simply means the deformation has crossed from elastic to plastic (permanent).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
afarmer
in reply to: JDMather

That makes since but is there a way to find the force that causes the permanent deformation or do I have to run several simulations until I zero in on a force that is close?
Message 4 of 9
JDMather

It is all relative.

Can you attach your file here?

The high stress area could localized to a very small area or location that is of no real concern in the function of the part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
afarmer

Here is the part. Thanks for the help btw

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

@afarmer wrote:

Here is the part. Thanks for the help btw

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
afarmer

Message 8 of 9
henderh

If it's a single force load, you should be able to do this.
(Note: the resulting minimum SF value must be below 15 for this to work. If it's not, increase the load value until it is.)
Once the minimum SF is below 15, multiply that load magnitude by the resulting minimum safety factor.  Use that multiplied value as the load input and it should bring the minimum SF to exactly 1.

In your case, you'd multiply the 2500 lbforce * 0.89 (attached).  Use the 2225 lbforce as input.

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 9 of 9
afarmer
in reply to: henderh

Thanks. This is helpful, not 100% what I was hoping for but still a lot better than the guess and check method.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report