Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop auto rotating part for new sketch

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Joe_Banger
3330 Views, 7 Replies

Stop auto rotating part for new sketch

Hi, Has anyone found out how to stop the part rotating around when i click on a plane to do a 2D sketch. Often i will orient the part in perfect position to start drawing, and click the plane and it zooms out to extents and goes at orthog view. Can I stop this? Thanks i would be obliging to all :!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
blair
in reply to: Joe_Banger

The default is X and Y with the Z into the screen. Check the setting in the Application Options>Sketch>Look at sketch plane on sketch creation.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 8
JoAnn_Hogan

There is definately a way you can change that.

Application Menu (Big I) > Options > Sketch Tab > Deselect "Look at sketch plane on sketch creation"

Please see attachment for more info

Please mark as solved if this helps your issue 😃

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 4 of 8
dfarrellnep
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

This only solves the issue when creating a new sketch within an already existing part.

If I create a new component by select a reference plane, and proceed to start a new sketch, the orientation and zoom all command kicks in automatically.

An feasible solution to this problem would be appreciated.

Dan

Message 5 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: dfarrellnep

Hi! I think you are talking about the behavior of making origin planes visible and rotate the view to home when you are trying to create a sketch and nothing else is visible to pick. This behavior is only enabled when there is nothing visible in the graphic window.

To disable the behavior, you can simply open the part template and make the origin planes visible and save. Then next time when you try to create a sketch, you just need to pick one of the visible plane and Inventor will not rotate the view to home.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8
alan_arturner
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Thank you!  This is the most annoying "feature" of inventor and I was getting in trouble for yelling "stop it, ****!" at my computer all the time.

Message 7 of 8
CGBenner
in reply to: alan_arturner

@alan_arturner 

Hello Alan and welcome!

Is this what you're looking for?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! On top of Chris' suggestion, you may want to turn on at least one origin plane in the iam/ipt template files. When there is a piece of visible geometry to select for 2D sketching, the automatic Y-up isoview will be suppressed.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report