Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steel Cable

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Ryan.Irwin
8923 Views, 13 Replies

Steel Cable

Wondering if anyone knows a good way to make Steel Cable.  Normally I would make a circle to the diameter of the cable then extrede the length.  I would then go into the apparance and create a new appearnce with the image .jpg of a cable ovelayed on it.  I used the same image on the Bump. But the rendered image makes it look like rod.

Do i need to create a sample 3"s of cable by building x amounts of strands then lofting them into a sprial.  Then Making a Pattern of said stands to create my full cable.  This seams rediculously time consuming.  So my question is... anyone know a quick way of making cable that when rendered still looks like a cable?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jtylerbc
in reply to: Ryan.Irwin

If you're talking about something like wire rope, faking it with a texture might work well enough.  This method won't stand up to close-up views, but I've faked it before with a color style (would be an Appearance now).

I just started from a copy of the Threaded color style, then tweaked the scale and rotation angle.  After some trial and error, I came up with something close enough to look reasonable as a background object in a scene.  It won't look realistic enough to look good if the cable is the focus of the image, but if it's not (like showing wire rope lifting a load), it seems to work fairly well for me.

Message 3 of 14
Ryan.Irwin
in reply to: jtylerbc

I have tried that, please look at attached image.  When I render it dosen't look rightCable.jpg

Message 4 of 14
Ryan.Irwin
in reply to: jtylerbc

I think I figured it out.  Attached is an Image is of 2' [609.6mm] sample of 1" [25.4mm] Stainless Steel Cable.

Cable2.jpg

I made my 1" diameter which was d0.  so across I had 5 strands so the diameter of these are d0/5.  then constained all the stands to the oringinal diameter.  (so now i can change the overall diameter and all strands change accordinly).

I then had to extrude the sketch 0.001mm.  and made an offset of 12.7mm. copied the sketch onto this new plane.  Extruded again to 0.001mm.  Then lofted each stand to the one beside it.  saved this as an .ipt.   Opened a new assembly and patterned the .ipt 48 times at an offset of 12.7mm.

Looks a little rough where the pieces meet but overall looks better than a rod.

Message 5 of 14
jtylerbc

That's not how mine comes out, but I'm not sure what would be different between yours and mine.  Even in Realistic visual style, mine looks more like your image on the right.

The only things I changed were the scale and angle on the texture image.  If you changed more than that, you may be causing yourself some undesired effects (too shiny, etc).  If you didn't, then I'm at a loss - I'm still getting used to this new Appearance system.  Hopefully someone with more experience with it will weigh in.

Message 6 of 14
jtylerbc

That does look nice.  I may have to keep that method in mind for the future.

When I did my original "rope texture" method, it was in a very large assembly running on a rather insufficient computer, so that technique wouldn't have been an option.  Now that I'm working with better hardware, it might be a way to improve on what I was doing before if it ever becomes necessary.

Still not sure why the texture method turned out so strange for you, but glad you worked out an alternative.

Message 7 of 14
JDMather

@Ryan.Irwin wrote:

Then lofted each stand to the one beside it.  saved this as an .ipt.   Opened a new assembly and patterned the .ipt 48 times at an offset of 12.7mm.

This does not make logical sense to me.
Attach the assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 14
Ryan.Irwin
in reply to: JDMather

I opted against doing this.  I found a better image to wrap and bump over a solid rod to look like cable

Message 9 of 14
JamesLovell

what wrong with modeling the cable profile using coil? 'Length & Rotation'

cable.jpg

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 10 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: JamesLovell

@jameslovell4987 wrote:

Nothing.. other than the increase in file size/complexity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: JamesLovell

@jameslovell4987 wrote:

Reading the description the OP used Loft rather than coil and notice that it was a component Assembly of the wirerope strands.

In general I would suspect by the time you added the rest of the assembly and backed out a bit so that you could see it all that you would not be able to tell the difference (visually) between a modeled wirerope and a good cosmetic texture.
But you would surely see the difference in file size and performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 12 of 14
gilbertomejiac
in reply to: JDMather

is posible to make in inventor something like this tutorial?

http://datab.us/tSOtP-4g8Aw#SolidWorks tutorial: Modelling a rope/wire.
Message 13 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: gilbertomejiac

Sweep with Twist.

Message 14 of 14

Take a look at this tutorial for Inventor (in Czech):

http://www.inventorguru.cz/2016/01/modelovani-ocelovych-lan-v-inventoru.html

LanoTaz3.png

Vladimir Michl, www.cadstudio.cz  www.cadforum.cz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report