Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stainless pipe fittings

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
dloganbill
3902 Views, 15 Replies

Stainless pipe fittings

Does someone have a content center library of stainless steel butt weld fittings? I can't believe they aren't already included. Or maybe they are and I just need to be pointed in the right direction. We've started using a lot of schedule 10S plumbing in our systems.
Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz; 32 GB RAM; GeForce GTX 680; SSD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
dloganbill
in reply to: dloganbill

Bump Surely we're not the only company using schedule 10S out there. How does everyone else create a correct BOM, mass, etc without them?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 16
jletcher

I don't use content center library to many issues I have my own  library for this. 

Message 4 of 16
dloganbill
in reply to: jletcher

Care to share? Is your library compatible with the tube and pipe program? I'm still amazed that Autodesk left these out. They DID include ASME B36.19M pipe (stainless steel pipe), but they only option for fittings are the B16.9 steel wrought ones. Where are the equivalent B16.9 stainless steel fittings, Autodesk?
Message 5 of 16
jletcher

You can puplish it to tube and pipe I think. I don't have my drive with me I can upload it tonight or in morning.

Message 6 of 16
cwhetten

In the past I have just used the steel ones that come with Inventor, then I just fudge the drawing parts list to show the correct material.

I have intended to make a stainless library, but have never found the time to do so.

Are there dimensional differences between the steel fittings and stainless ones?

Message 7 of 16
dloganbill
in reply to: cwhetten

Yes. Besides the obvious differences in mass, the larger diameter fittings have different wall thicknesses. Check out this link and compare. Shedules with an "s" are stainless steel. http://www.engineersedge.com/pipe_schedules.htm
Message 8 of 16
cwhetten

Thanks for the info.  I never knew what the "S" was for.

I have only ever used them for skids with small-diameter piping (less than 10"), so the wall thickness was never an issue.  And I don't think the difference in material density between carbon steel and stainless steel (on the order of a few thousandths of a pound per cubic inch) is significant (until maybe the 100,000-lb range, and THAT would be a lot of piping).

Message 9 of 16
blair

I would just copy the nearest / closest CC library into your "My Library" and make/edit the changes is size and material there.

We do a lot with Nylon air-brake in the Pipe & Tube module, I just copied an existing flexible library and did my edits to get what I needed. Much easier than creating a library from scratch (unless you do it about once every 1-2 months).

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 16
dloganbill
in reply to: blair

Is there a published workflow for doing that? Call me lazy, but I typically lean on the stock CC for standard parts.
Message 11 of 16
dloganbill

cwhetten wrote: And I don't think the difference in material density between carbon steel and stainless steel (on the order of a few thousandths of a pound per cubic inch) is significant (until maybe the 100,000-lb range, and THAT would be a lot of piping).

If my memory servers me correctly, I think there is a 2% difference in densities.  And 2% adds up quickly on the large systems we design.

Message 12 of 16
blair

You need to search around in the Autodesk online Wiki help. It should help you through it.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 16
cwhetten

@dloganbill wrote:
Is there a published workflow for doing that?

Is your content center on a vault server or do you use desktop content?

Message 14 of 16
dloganbill

It's on the vault server.
Message 15 of 16
cwhetten

If you don't already have a custom writeable CC library, then you need to create one.  You have to do this from the vault server ADMS console.  Once you are logged in to that, you can right-click on the libraries and create a new one.

If you already have a custom writeable CC library, then you are good to go.

Next, you have to make sure that this library (new or not) is available in your project file.  In Inventor, go to the projects editor, select your project file, then click on the Configure Content Center Libraries in the bottom right corner (just above the Done button).  This will pull up a list of available CC libraries.  Make sure the writeable custom library is checked.

Once your writeable library is available, then go to Manage tab > Content Center panel > Content Center Editor.  This will launch the editor window that looks similar to the place from CC window.  This is where what Blair said comes in.  Find the fitting that is closest to what you need.  In your case, that's probably the ASME 16.9 butt-welded fittings, since they are the only ANSI butt-welded option.  Right-click the part family and choose Copy To > [whatever you named your custom library].  This will copy the entire part family with its family table and folder structure into your library.  You can then edit it to your heart's content.

In this case, you will want to edit the family table and change the material, the wall thicknesses, change the schedule designation if you want it to show the "S", filename, part number, description, and anything else I forgot.

Message 16 of 16
dloganbill

This looks good and simple enough to follow. Thanks for the walk through.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report