Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spurious Offset Values are generated when simple edge to edge mates created

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2306 Views, 8 Replies

Spurious Offset Values are generated when simple edge to edge mates created

For some reason after using Inventor 2012 Professional,  When mating two flat edge surfaces together strange offsets with random values or distances are filled into the offset entry box and I have to then change the value to 0.00

This behavior started with no rhyme or reason.  The project is significant, and I'm at witts end trying to figure out what happened.  Even my backup master assembly files and previous versions are demonstrating this behaviour when trying to do a new constraint of any kind.  It even happens when working with a specific .iam when opening a sub-directory folder. 

My project master assembly file is 1,620 kb in size and has hundreds of details and sub assemblies.

I'm pulling out my hair due to this sudden behaviour with the constraint issue and I'm to be meeting customers in a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Running 16 Gigs on a 64 bit I5-2500 CPU 3.3 GHz Windows 7

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

uncheck the "predict offset and orientation" check box in the constraint dialog. Should be right under the offset entry area... ruler looking icon with the mate icon next to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 9
swhite

As mcgyver stated make sure this box is unchecked, otherwise you get the default distance that already exists between the surfaces or constraint points.

Constraint.PNG

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Many thanks to both of you McGyvr and SWhite,

I'm not sure if it was checked or not, But now it is unchecked for sure. THis is the first time such a troubling artifact has been a plague for since yesterday afternoon. I was build a few sub-assblys in a lower lever directory and it started acting up. last night, and the effects migrated to anything I performed on the master ".iam" drawing.

After making sure it was clear and creating a new sub-assembly and integrating it into the top level .iam The problem is now eliminated.
Many many thanks to you all.

Mike.EnvFlex
Message 5 of 9
JDMather

This is one of the few dialog box options that remain in the last used state.
Can be really aggrivating when you don't realize what is going on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you, it is profound to have to wrestle with these gremlins and not knowing what they are and how to deal with them.

One frustrating item,  Is having to constantly go back and set perspective and shaded with edges in the View Panel any time you save a subordinate .iam in a lower folder and go back up to the master .iam and those associated actions.

Thank you again.

Message 7 of 9
swhite

Now and then it comes in handy when you have a part placed where you want but not constrained. Simply check the box and it will give the offset value automatically. Rarely use it, but get models from others sometimes with grounded parts, and makes constraining them easier. I only wish Frame generator and the use default name stayed in the last used state 🙂

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 8 of 9
AndyWallace
in reply to: swhite

"This is one of the few dialog box options that remain in the last used state." Actually, it would be nice if Inventor remembered MORE settings, starting with the export-to-PDF settings! But that's another story. I noticed an odd behavior with this function today: predict-offset-mating from a surface to a line caused the part to shift along the line (perpendicular) while it was "thinking", causing the part to be misaligned after the offset stabilized. I haven't troubleshot why yet. Andy
Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)
Message 9 of 9
joshuawilliamsonAYFKM

y'all need to bury this "feature" in some other menu. this is not useful and is in it's trial stage of development at best. I accidentally checked it on and spent 2 hours today diagnosing the issue (and I see this "feature" as an issue). There's a part of me that wants to bill autodesk for my time on this one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report