Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Springs and Grind Spacers, Inventor BOM's and Vault Release process

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
333 Views, 1 Reply

Springs and Grind Spacers, Inventor BOM's and Vault Release process

Has anyone created a good method to deal with variable length items such as springs and grind spacers in a Vaulted environment?  I would like to avoid creating / continuing methods that create a new ipt file for every spring at the length is it crushed to in the target assembly.  Over time, a common spring may be used multiple times at different crush heights and creating multiple ipt files to represent the same spring model.  Grind spaces are ordered as standard 5.0mm thicknesses but are designed and modeled at 4.5mm, 3.8mm 4.8mm etc….

Multiple files with the same part number / stock number creates unique workflows when the files / BOM data is managed and released through Vault.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Complaints?  All comments are welcome.  Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mrattray
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't use Vault, however, if I had this problem I would make the springs / spacers as iParts. This way I can have the same file for every compressed length or ground size.

Using different part files for the same part number is a bad idea and should be avoided as much as is possible.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report