Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring has no centerline

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mcian14
1569 Views, 8 Replies

Spring has no centerline

I created a spring but when I try to assemble it with constraints it appears to lack a centerline. Any ideas?
Autodesk Inventor 2012 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
trumpy81
in reply to: mcian14

I have encountered the same problem. Also the spring ends are NOT flat even though I select that option. Anyhow I do a revolve to flatten the ends and then do a small but rough bore down the center of the spring. That gives me a D shaped wire but I can use it to constrain the center of the spring.

HTH

Regards

Andy M

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 9
mcian14
in reply to: trumpy81

could you explain a little further how you go about doing this? I am somewhat new to the program

Message 4 of 9
trumpy81

First, select a plane that goes through the center of the spring vertically and make a sketch on that plane. Next, draw a rectangle from the center of the spring that intersects the end of the springs coil (the wire) at it's midpoint. Make sure you draw a vertical line or construction line through the center from top to bottom, this will be the axis for the revolve operation. close the sketch and use revolve to cut through the coil ends, top and bottom.

Once that is done, draw a sketch using the top or bottom flat part of the spring as the plane to draw on. Draw a circle in the center of the spring that is just slightly bigger than the inner diameter of the spring. Once that is done, use extrude to cut that circle through the center of the spring.

If done correctly, you can now constrain the center of the spring.

If you need any more help, just holler. 🙂

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 5 of 9
mcian14

thanks! I did it in a rather sloppy way before reading this but I got it to work! Smiley Very Happy
I can feel my brain growing!

Message 6 of 9
blair

You can use the Origin Planes of the spring, if you are using a spring from the Design Assistant within Inventor

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

@mcian14 wrote:

thanks! I did it in a rather sloppy way before reading this but I got it to work! Smiley Very Happy
I can feel my brain growing!

Attach your file here.

Use the origin axis as the centerline as suggested by blair and getting flat turns should not be a problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
trumpy81

I should have added that my technique is for springs drawn using the 'coil' command. For some reason, that I have long forgotten, I never used the Design Assistant for springs, gears yes but not springs.

Anyhow, I just tried it in 2013 Pro and they work great!! And they do have proper flat ends etc... perfect! ... lol

Thanks for the hints guys.

Regards
Andy M
Message 9 of 9
7997redtail

I think i have found another solution.  I have attached a word doc that has two screen captures showing the difference between a :mate" and a "insert" constraint option and the selection options that come with them.

The text from the word Doc is below in case the attachment doesn't show up.

In this screen capture the Constraint option “insert” is being used.  With this option you can’t use the X,Y and Z options.   You can’t see the mouse on the Y axis but it’s there and no red axis line is indicated on the spring.

In the next screen capture I used the Constraint option “Mate”.  With this option you can use the X,Y and Z options.  You can’t see the mouse on the Y axis but it’s there.  Look closely and you can see the red axis line is indicated on the spring.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report