Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split sheet metal part

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mrattray
2263 Views, 5 Replies

Split sheet metal part

I have a sheet metal part drawn up that I can't manufacture as modeled. The solution is to convert it from a two bend part into two single bend parts that will then be welded together. (I have an iLogic configurator that spit it out or else I would have drawn it right in the first place) Normally I would split it into two solids and derive them into two parts, but because Inventor still doesn't support multi-body sheet metal (this is something I curse about daily, by the way...) I would have to convert it to a standard part first. The problem here is, I have a ton of edits done to my flat pattern. I have an extruded tab that's needed for my press brake operator that later gets cut off, and I have a fairly complex sketch that I use to program my laser with etch lines for my welders to use. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can accomplish converting this into right/left parts without having to redo my flat pattern edits? Thank you in advance.

P.S. Don't worry about the missing reference dialog you'll get if you open the model, it's not needed for this problem.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Just a thought we have parts as well that cannot be bent without cutting in half but what we do is laser cut as one then split it with the laser.

can this work for you as well?

Message 3 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

Probably, but it'll confuse everyone in the shop. It would be best if there was some combination of split and derive while humming Harry Belafonte that would give me two ipt's. I would also need it when I run into a similar situation where I need to split it because it's over my laser bed's capacity.

By the way... rookie mistake on my part: this is a 2013 ipt.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 6
jletcher

LOL yeah the shop had issues when I 1st did it but now love it..

Wish I could give you more best of luck to you...

Message 5 of 6
BLHDrafting

Can't you just place a midpoint workplane bweteen the 2 large faces, then start a new sheetmetal part, derive the previous part including the workplane, split at the then thicken/offset? I can't do it without the missing ref file.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 6 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: BLHDrafting

I could do it that way, but I would loose my flat pattern edits. Although, I suppose I could combine your idea with James's. I could derive then split to get my folded models and use the original for the flat pattern...
I think that's what I'll have to do, thank you both.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report