Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spline program sucks!

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jim
Contributor
754 Views, 4 Replies

Spline program sucks!

First of all the program does not offer 20 degree Pressure Angle splines. 

Second, for many other splines it will preview the spline and then not display it in the model after you leave the spline generator tool.  The tool displays NO indication of error.

Third, you have to create a phony mating part just to create a spline on a part.

The tool will not let you create splines by a manufacturing process called "hobbing".  The way you can get close to adjacent surfaces which you cannot do with the cutter manufacturing approach.

Autodesh would do well to spend more time making current tools work than creating new whiz bangs.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: jim

Jim,

First, you would be better served in placing a better description in your title instead of an editorial comment.

Second, while I do not use this tool, if you think you have a legitimate short coming of the software you are best to

post it in the Inventor IdeaStation.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 5
SKinzel
in reply to: jim

Create a sketch in the cross section of the spline.  You should be able to project the "tooth space" and then create a revolve based upon the OD of your hob and then do an Extrude/Cut at the back end of your spline and Array that feature around for the other teeth.  It's been awhile since I've had to do anything like this but if my memory serves me correctly, and it usually doesn't, this is how I created the runout section of a spline generated by Inventor.

I am in agreement with you in that I don't really like having to do a spline in an ASSEMBLY which creates an IPT.  Now you have TWO files for the ONE part.  This is one of the reasons I don't use the shaft generator.

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit
Message 4 of 5
dan_inv09
in reply to: SKinzel

Personally I think they should handle splines like threads.

If you get to about 20 or 30 cuts patterned it can bog down your computer.

Plus I just don't trust the shaft generator for anything.

Message 5 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: dan_inv09

It seems to be the going thing with Inventor that no matter which generator you use whether it be the frame, spline, shaft or even mirror in an assembly, it creates new parts.  I understand it to some degree, but it does become a pain when it comes to part creation.  I personally wish it would just create a virtual part that would just stay within the assembly instead of creating all of these external parts.

I posted an idea stating such. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Have-the-Generators-within-Inventor-Create-Virtua...

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report