Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiral stair..

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Secttor
2010 Views, 19 Replies

Spiral stair..

I wish to create a spiral stair but I'm locked here.. I've created the path which is a helix and the feature.. Which command is recommended to follow the helix path?

Thanks for any suggestion!

Revit MEP - Electrical Certified Professional
Revit MEP - Mechanical Certified Professional

Draftworks.wordpress.com
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
PaulMunford
in reply to: Secttor

Here's a start:

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11464

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 20
JDMather

Rectangular Pattern.
Rather than attaching an image file - attach the Inventor file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 20
Secttor
in reply to: JDMather

The "wierd thing" is that this assembly/part must be fully compatible with AutoCAD (2008>2011) as if was built there. I wish to avoid complex techniques to build this stair due compatibility reasons.. I'm using Inventor 2012 Pro.

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 5 of 20
cean_au

There is a similar thread here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Spiral-staircase/td-p/2385713

There I got a problem to make it happen in an assembly.

Any help please.

Message 6 of 20
Secttor
in reply to: cean_au

as.JPGHere's another wierd thing that I can't explain .. why after this corner profile goes under an agle (on YZ place) and not simply go on XZ path ? Futher (upper) the tilt is increasing..

Capture.JPG

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 7 of 20
JDMather

I am not familiar with analyzing or editing image files in Inventor.
Can you attach Inventor files?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 8 of 20
Secttor

I did on previous post.

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 9 of 20
JDMather

I think I would use Frame Generator for this design.

EESignature

Message 10 of 20
Secttor

Sounds easy but I need 100% compatibility (further edit) with AutoCAD product..

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 11 of 20
JDMather

@Secttor wrote:

Sounds easy but I need 100% compatibility (further edit) with AutoCAD product..

I don't understand how using Frame Generator changes anything relative to AutoCAD?

Also, I would probably try to simplify a bit (see attach) to make edits easier.

and I noticed that a couple of your sketches were not constrained.

EESignature

Message 12 of 20
Secttor

But is there any explanation for this angle that increases as more as I sweep ?

Capture.JPG

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 13 of 20
trumpy81

The angle is caused by the sweep. It is correctly using a mitre at the 90deg corner, but this mitre is causing the twist or angle that you see.

To avoid that, you will need to treat each 'level' as a seperate sweep. You will also need to redraw the profile sketch for each level.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 14 of 20
PaulMunford
in reply to: trumpy81

...Or use a sketch block for each profile...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 15 of 20
Martin_Goodland

The sweep is rotating the box because this is the angle that the box needs to be to produce the correct miter cut for the box faces to match. If you want the handrail to run as you have drawn it you will have to fudge the miters as the faces will not line up properly when the handrail is horizontal.

If you want to use a mitered rectangle, I would set the handrail break point onto the quarter landing higher than you have it at the moment so there is a horizontal flat portion either side of the miter. This will then sweep correctly giving you the detail you need, or just use a round tube instead.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 16 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: Martin_Goodland

@Martin_Goodland wrote:

If you want the handrail to run as you have drawn it you will have to fudge the miters

But if you do it correctly (using Frame Generator or copied Sketch Blocks) as suggested and then cut your miters - no fudging required - just a bit of work.  If you do this a lot - the Frame Generator is the way to go (or even for a one-off if you know how to add custom profiles to the Frame Generator). Otherwise copy your Sketch Block and Multiple Sweep and Sculpt or Split to trim the ends (create multibody solids).  Then push out the solids if needed.

EESignature

Message 17 of 20
Martin_Goodland

Hi JD

Have to disagree. In the attached image showing the miter done using frame generator you can clearly see the issue I tried to explain in my previous e-mail. The faces of the miter do not align because of the geometry used on the stair. The 'Fudge' is that to make this into a suitable handrail joint you would need to weld and blend it to make it look neat (and it will still look odd in my opinion). If you use a round tube it will work but for any other shape you should only change direction in one plane at a time to avoid this.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 18 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: Martin_Goodland

@Martin_Goodland wrote:

... you can clearly see the issue I tried to explain in my previous e-mail. 

I didn't take the time to try it.  Points out the hand blending required in the field.
In any case - I think it will requre multiple sweeps (and multiple parts out in the field) where I think the op is expecting a single sweep.

EESignature

Message 19 of 20
Martin_Goodland

I didn't take the time to try it.  Points out the hand blending required in the field.
In any case - I think it will require multiple sweeps (and multiple parts out in the field) where I think the op is expecting a single sweep.

I though that was the case which is why I posted the example. I did not want the OP to go off and try re-working the detail in Frame generator or with sketch blocks as advised when the issue is the handrail geometry being used.

Personally I always use the approach of sweeping a rail as a single part. It highlights geometry issues, like this one, and allows them to be easily fixed. Once the geometry is locked down and approved I would break the rail out as needed for a particular job. Powder coated items are usually fully modeled but for a polished handrail often the single swept part with some joint locations is enough for the shop to fabricate from.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 20 of 20
glenn-chun

@Secttor wrote:

But is there any explanation for this angle that increases as more as I sweep ?

Hello Secttor,

As Martin_Goodland already answered, the profile rotates to produce the correct miter cut for sweep faces to match.  The following figure shows how the miter plane is determined between Sketch2 and Sketch3.

handrail_miter_plane_iso.png

As you can see, all faces along Sketch2 perfectly match to all faces along Sketch3 at the miter plane.  The top face along Sketch2 is straight up, but the top face along Sketch3 is rotated toward the center of the entire stairs because of the orientation of the miter plane.  This top view can help you visualize better:

handrail_miter_plane_top.png

As Martin_Goodland mentioned, the profile rotations would not cause any orientation issue for the handrail if a circular profile is swept:

handrail_circle.png

If the profile is a square or a round square as shown below, adding a vertical line at the start of each 'level' would resolve the orientation issue for the handrail.  A single sweep can make the following model with all top faces 'up'.

handrail_round_square.png

HTH,

Glenn

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report