Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiral Flat Pattern

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
aarmacost
2455 Views, 12 Replies

Spiral Flat Pattern

I'm trying to figure out how to get inventor to take a sheet metal spiral and flatten it out to create a flat pattern. Anyone have any suggestions? There are 3 seperate peices to this and need to creat patterns for each for fabrication.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ampster402
in reply to: aarmacost

an assembly file by itself is useless, you will need to attach any part files related to this assy.

Message 3 of 13
aarmacost
in reply to: ampster402

Message 4 of 13
ampster402

2011 here, can't open them.

Message 5 of 13
blair
in reply to: ampster402

Try this method of creating the parts. Create a line, coil to a surface, thicken to get your solid body. Convert to a Sheet-Metal part, set the correct thickness in the Sheet-Metal set-up, and the part will flatten. Not sure how it will work on the angled item. You can't do 360 deg or rotation as you may end up with a self intersecting flat pattern.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 13
aarmacost

That works for the vertical peice on the outside, but not the two inside ones. Take a look at attached file, still will not flatten this one.

Message 7 of 13
aarmacost

And also I'm not sure what I did differently, but when i tried what you suggested, it didn't work for me...

Message 8 of 13
blair

You might have tried the flat pattern before you set up the thickness in the Sheet-Metal module. I went back to the folded item, deleted the flat pattern and created the flat pattern without any problems.

The flat floor portion is just a bunch of circles OD and ID with a cut from the outside to the inside. The sloped side I think is outside of Inventor. There are 3rd party add-in's that should be able to handle that type of bend/roll.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 13
aarmacost
in reply to: blair

What exactly do u mean by 3rd party add-ons? Is there something out there to create these patterns? Would really like to be able to make patterns to make spirals. I tried using a cone and triangulating the slope and it worked with paper, but when I went to make it out of sheet metal was just a disaster!! So any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 10 of 13
blair

Like this: http://partnerproducts.autodesk.com/compatiblewith/Autodesk_Inventor_2013_Certified_Products_Directo...

They are stand-alone software that works with Inventor files.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 13
jletcher

I have use SPI sheet metal software before and works great. And I do know it will do Strakes for stacks.

A strake is a spiral sheet metal used to help tall stacks.

Message 13 of 13
S_May

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report