Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting / arranging level of detail

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
safiredesignengineers
2267 Views, 26 Replies

Sorting / arranging level of detail

Hi group  in inv2012 is it possible to sort the level of detail list in an assembly? Or can I move a selected level up or down in a list?

Regards Adrian

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

At the moment unfortunately no. We have a wishlist item registered for customers to be able to sort the DV/PR/LOD list in the browser.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 3 of 27

Hi Daniela

thanks for the reply, I don't know if a post I posted a few days ago was seen but it would also be good to be able to suppress features on parts but in the assembly view representations.

Can this be added as a wish too?

Regards Adrian

Message 4 of 27

You can post all the enhancement requests on our product feedback site:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=​123112&id=1109794

Daniela Koloszko

Message 5 of 27

Apologies in advance for the rage here, but I'm now convinced there is absolutely no benefit in submitting any sort of wish list items to Autodesk.  This thread was opened almost 2 years ago, "a wish list item has been submitted", 2 years and 2 product releases later, no change.  

But hey! In 2014 we see the ability to recognise revit features and BIM exchange! Awesome, all the mechanical engineering businesses the world over I'm sure had been struggling for years with the overwhelming amount of window and door models they were trying to bring into Inventor.  

Message 6 of 27
mrattray
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Are you aware of the new Inventor IdeaStation? It's a bit more transparent than the old "Submit a Comment" system. Try taking a look for this idea there and giving it a vote, or add it if it isn't already there.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 27
Neil_Cross
in reply to: mrattray

I know all about the IdeaStation.  This is also littered with much needed product enhancements that year by year get ignored in favor of sales focused features.

However, I was posting on this thread as I was literally about to create an IdeaStation post for this very function, then figured whats the point if it made the wish list 2 years ago and nothing has happened.  

I'm no programmer, but this surely has to be a pretty simple code alteration.  It was not long ago they completely revamped the browser to allow for free component movement and restructuring, browser folders etc.

Never mind, that's how it goes.

Message 8 of 27
mrattray

I understand your frustration. Personally, I would happily trade all of the enhancements made in the last few years for multi-body sheet metal.
But, all we can do as users is make our voice heard. The suits will always have the final say...
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 27
mcgyvr
in reply to: mrattray

typical....

I could have used that functionality daily for the past 2 years.. We use design view reps to show the assembly process. I can't tell you how fun it is to have to create a new design view and then have to do the "copy it down dance" to get it in the right/logical order.

Thank god for a watercolor visual style though..

I don't know what I would do without that wonderful feature. </sarcasm..>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 27
jholder5

4 years later, another full release and still no reordering of LOD's - I guess there just hasn't been enough of a voice for the almighty ADSK to hear our wailings.

Sure wish I'd read this post prior to finding out that my 100 or so LOD's across 5 assemblies were gonna turn into a poop-show (no fault of yours of course, TFI, in fact your support channels are the very reason for my current level of success, thank you!)

I figured I'd breathe some life back into this post hoping that we can get the bandwagon rolling (again...) - although like the man says, this has been a 'wish-list' item for 6 years and 3 releases now... somewhere Carl Bass is shaking his head...

Jaime Holder
AutoCAD Mechanical | Inventor Professional | 3DS Max | Vault | HSM Express 2018

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below
Message 11 of 27
mcgyvr
in reply to: jholder5

@jholder5 wrote:

4 years later, another full release and still no reordering of LOD's - I guess there just hasn't been enough of a voice for the almighty ADSK to hear our wailings.

Sure wish I'd read this post prior to finding out that my 100 or so LOD's across 5 assemblies were gonna turn into a poop-show (no fault of yours of course, TFI, in fact your support channels are the very reason for my current level of success, thank you!)

I figured I'd breathe some life back into this post hoping that we can get the bandwagon rolling (again...) - although like the man says, this has been a 'wish-list' item for 6 years and 3 releases now... somewhere Carl Bass is shaking his head...

@jholder5 But we did get the ability to arrange design view reps.. There is a good chance that you should be using design view reps anyways instead of LOD.. (I have no idea why you are using LODs though)

LOD was really a memory management tool needed with 32 bit systems to unload parts from memory to increase Inventors performance.... It still has its use I guess but design view reps might actually be better for you..

They support parts list filtering/sorting (rearranging),etc.. that LOD's don't..

Also you can click on your existing LOD and select "copy to view rep" to switch from using LOD to using design view reps..

Demand is what speaks the loudest around here as it should.. Enough spoke that we got design view rep sorting... I'm happy with that.. Try it.. 

There are quite a few things that many of us think its crazy that they haven't implemented but then we all don't have the same needs so we might be alone in the field of our own specific needs with no one there to keep us company Smiley Wink 

Try design view reps.. They can be dragged/dropped around when a process changes,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 12 of 27
jholder5
in reply to: mcgyvr

Now that's the ticket, @mcgyvr - was just fishing around the forums for a better way, and lo and behold, design view reps!

thanks for the prompt reply, now to go work those assemblies over (again, but 3rd time is the charm they say...)

Jaime Holder

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below
Message 13 of 27
mcgyvr
in reply to: jholder5

@jholder5 Good.. glad that it seems like design view reps will work for you..

I was super excited a few years ago when I found out you could rearrange them (it actually was new functionality that wasn't even included in the "Whats new") so it was a pleasant surprise when I found out.. I use design view reps all the time to show only the parts in that specific assembly step and when we change the sequence of steps it was a nightmare to put them in the correct/logical new order.. (copy/paste/delete..blah blah).. being able to drag/drop rearrange is super nice..

Message 14 of 27

@jholder5 wrote:

...now to go work those assemblies over (again, but 3rd time is the charm they say...)

@jholder5

Keep in mind you can right click on your LODs and choose Copy to View Rep... in case that helps

Message 15 of 27

hi, it is frustrating waiting for autodesk to sort out requests and develop their products, I think the development of inventor has been terrible for years now to the point that after 10 years of paying their yearly fee (not low cost) this year i stopped!!

it was a really big decision for me as i really wanted inventor to develop better but autodesk seem so much more interested in spending time on fusion and their machining applications and the bigger picture that they seem to of forgotten that inventor was meant for "inventing" or "designing".

the fusion product is released to early and is under developed so autodesk seem to be in a limdo state of under development.

Also i was not happy with the way they want us all on monthly rentals not maintenance and i was not happy not owning the product anymore especially with the amount of money invested into it! if i sign up to the monthly rentals and stop i cannot keep a perpetual license??

they got you by the short and curlies and want to bleed you dry for little return!!

I have purchased Spaceclaim with Momentum instead which is a really really good package with many features that far exceed inventor for designing. Also Ansys have just release the trial of Ansys discovery which seems to be very good.

Also whilst i have backed away from inventor they don't seem to care about me not paying them the yearly fee as they aren’t trying to win me back either!

so i have inventor 2017/2018 as a perpetual licence but it won't be upgraded... and i really don't think i will miss anything.....  my money will be saved for better products.

Message 16 of 27

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

@jholder5 wrote:

...now to go work those assemblies over (again, but 3rd time is the charm they say...)

@jholder5

Keep in mind you can right click on your LODs and choose Copy to View Rep... in case that helps

Thanks @Curtis_Waguespack, already transferred everything over to design view reps - last time I did a full book was Mastering Inventor 2014, might be time for a new one!

Jaime Holder

Message 17 of 27

Hi Adrian,

This is a public forum and everybody is entitled to his or her own opinion. Your reply does not seem to be directly related to this particular topic. If you have specific issues in Inventor, please start a new thread. I am more than happy to review the issues you report.

It is sad to see you no longer use Inventor and you are using our competitor's solution. I am sure you made the decision for a reason. If there is anything I can do to help your Inventor experience better, please let me know. At the same time, this is Inventor forum and the discussion should stay relevant to Inventor.

Many thanks!
Best wishes,

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 27

Hi  Shuie

i think you will find my comments are related to this post as i actually started the post in 2011

and i have just started receiving emails on it as someone decided to post on it again!

and they said:

"4 years later, another full release and still no reordering of LOD's - I guess there just hasn't been enough of a voice for the almighty ADSK to hear our wailings."

if you read this post today plus many other posts in this forum, it does state that autodesk is not doing much about whish lists, recomendations, enchancments etc.. so again very relivant to the topic a comon issue over the years.

I have been with inventor for many years up until this may 2017 but my comments are in relation to the many people that are frustrated and the lack of development of this product and also the changes in the subscriptition.

now i am not going to rant on but my reply to the earlier post is very relevent to this post.

Message 19 of 27

Hi Adrian,

Many thanks for pointing out prior replies! I am sorry I did not read them all. Certainly, there is room for improvement in Inventor at every corner. The same can be said in all software including Inventor's competitors.

It is not true that Inventor team does not care about wish lists or recommendations or enhancement requests. Each idea on Inventor Ideas Forum is reviewed for priority and feasibility. Inventor Beta program allows Beta users to try out the latest in-development build with the latest enhancements. Beta users can give feedback to the team and interact with team members on a real time basis. We have customer events around the world running all years round.

It is also not true Inventor lacks of development. Starting from Inventor 2016, there are 3 major updates (new enhancements plus defect fixes) following the major annual release. Your comments in this regard are over generalized. If you have specific examples, please share with us. I am more than happy to take a look and review them with you. General comments are not actionable.

I wish you succeed in using our competitor's solution. If it does not work out, you are more than welcome to pick up Inventor again. We are here to support you as always.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 27

Hi Shuie

i really don't have time to go round in circles and i am very sure you understand my point and the problem, but just as a good single clear example of this is this:

in 2009 i raised a post about a contact constraignt in 2d sketch blocks in inventor ( i since made other comments and posts which were also ignored)

you will see in the post if you follow the link below i was told by autodesk it was being added as a planned release but at the time a date was not known.

now over 8 years later still no sign or what would be an excelent addition to 2d sketches which was available in other software products at the time in 2009 see here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/contact-thingy-in-sketch-blocks-in-inv-2010/td-p/24793...

this is just one of many let downs.

the big change in inv 2018........ drum roll.........     a better edge fillet system with "complex fillet edge" ? and that was pretty much it??

come on, inventor is not developing very fast at all and my guess it will be dumped for Fusion which will also most likely be under-developed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report