Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some IV vs. Pro/E Questions

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
517 Views, 6 Replies

Some IV vs. Pro/E Questions

Hey,

I'm a student trying to get into design ahead of the curb, and I'm looking into design software. I operate on a macbook air, so IV is an obvious choice. Not to mention the cost.

A friend who uses Pro/Engineer (I think they've changed the name now to Creo) tells me that Pro/E has a feature that takes a design and recreates it using the least amount of material possible without loosing structural integrity. Is there something like this in IV?

How does the stress testing work? Do you input the material being used (i.e. ABS plastic) and apply a force and direction?

Thanks for your time

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Sounds much like Inventor Optimization

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/inventor_optimization/

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

But that's not supported in IV 2011, is it?

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

But that's not supported in IV 2011, is it?

Why do you say that?  By not supported do you mean won't run with 2011, or do you mean as a technology preview not supported as a commercial product? 

I recommend you try both products.

I teach both products.
I would estimate you are 2-3 years in experience level from making an educated evaluation of the products one-vs-the other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

"I would estimate you are 2-3 years in experience level from making an educated evaluation of the products one-vs-the other."

-- Yep, that's why I was asking. 🙂

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

They will both do what you ask.  2-3 years from now will be a different world.  Try them both out using the built in tutorials and see how far you get today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: JDMather

Opinion:

Pro-E is much less intuitive, and slower on the larger assemblies than IV.  Drawing module (2D) is not as easy to customize as IV, and doesn't look as good.  Configuration options are much easier to find and set in IV.  Piping and Frame Generator both are much easier to work with in IV.

This is strictly my personal opinion, after going from IV 2008 to Pro E Wildfire 4, and then WF5.... and then returning to IV 2011.  Having worked with both, my personal feeling is that IV is easier to work with,... at least for my application.

I agree with JD though, try them both out, your application, and your personal experience may not be mine.

For what it's worth...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report