Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solid Works 2006 and latest Inventor versions - 2011 or/and 2012

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
AdiStratulat
887 Views, 9 Replies

Solid Works 2006 and latest Inventor versions - 2011 or/and 2012

Hi,

This problem comes because of an opportunity for a 2 month part time job...
So, here is my problem:

At this moment I know to work with Autodesk Inventor (release 2011 and 2012).

1) I need to take some parts from old assemblies created with SolidWorks 2006 (client database).
2) Then I have to process them in Inventor - see the above versions -

3) The last step is to to export them back as "part" files, 100% compatible with SolidWorks 2006.

Can this be done?

Thank you,

Adrian Stratulat
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: AdiStratulat

Yes.
STEP and Parasolid solid part formats are 100% compatible with SolidWorks.

But by "part files" - I assume you mean native 2006 *.sldprt files.  (you didn't state this specifically)
This is not possible, but why - is there something wrong with your work?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
AdiStratulat
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your quick response..

That's all I know at this moment: the POTENTIAL client has all asesemblies created with Solidworks and he is now seeking for someone to modify some parts from a lot of asemblies created with SolidWorks 2006....and he has need the modified files in SW 2006 projects.

Depending on the existence of a solution with Inventor, I'll go to discuss with him the other details.

Thanks again,

Adrian Stratulat
Message 4 of 10
AdiStratulat

The SLDPRT file attached bellow is taken from somewhere on the Internet.

Just for testing!

First of all I have to say that this is first time when I try to import parts from other CAD software. So I am a VERY VERY Beginner at this!

I've tried to open some older SW(2003) files  in Inventor 2012 and I got the error message as in attached image.

I've attached also the SW part file "Hips.sldprt" in Hips.zip.

The curious to me is that the image appears OK in the small preview, before choose Open.

Where is the problem ? Inventor 2012 trying to import "SW 2003 part file '...could this fail??
I though that is a "soft/easy task" for Inventor!

Adrian Stratulat
Message 5 of 10
JDMather

Hmmm, it looks like Inventor will not go back that far in reading old SolidWorks files (SolidWorks indicates that this is a v2001 file).
After saving in SolidWorks 2010 I am able to open in Inventor 2012.

The bitmap image preview is misleading - any CAD program can have a bitmap thumbnail preview and that does not necessarily mean that there is geometry in the file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

@adistratulat2011 wrote:

I am a VERY VERY Beginner at this!

Also keep in mind that I stated you could go back to SolidWorks and neutral format STEP or Parasolids - not *.sldprt with a history tree (but they should be able to run Feature Works).  The client probably expects native SolidWorks geometry as they are not likely to be familiar with working with neutral format files.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10

From your description I don't think you can do this.

Yes you can alter the files in Inventor and supply a neutral file as mentioned by JD however your comment that the potential client has these parts located and constrained in multiple SW assembly files is a concern as all of these would need to be opened up and the old SW part replaced with the new neutral file.

If your client already has all the work done in SW and is to continue using SW in the future the only realistic course of action is to do the changes in SW2006.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 8 of 10

Thank you for response.

The latest and most accurate information from this client is that he use SW 2006.

He will send me just some PDF files with the drawings for parts and for assembly.

So I can choose any CAD software I want to create the parts and the assemblies, BUT... finally, the client need that the files I'll send to him to be PRT and SLDPRT, 100% editable (if he will need to - and he will !) with SW 2006 version!!!

I've tried with STEP format, it works for the entire body, faces, edges. But many features like holes or fillet/chamfers (to mention only a few) are "assimilated"/"translated" just like simple faces. As I said, I'm a beginner with this (conversion tasks).

As I said in my first post, I don't know how to use SW, only Inventor 2012.

I saw a short demo, live from this client, with SW 2006 ... it look strange, obsolete...so "primitive" if I may say so... Brrr.... 

My needs are still the followings: to convert somehow the parts and assemblies made in Inventor 2012 to meet the client requirements.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Adrian Stratulat
Message 9 of 10
AdiStratulat
in reply to: JDMather

You said that "The client probably expects native SolidWorks geometry as they are not likely to be familiar with working with neutral format files"

Yes, unfortunatelly is TRUE (I spoke with him about that)

I've tried using STEP format; it works somehow, but all I got was the entire body, faces, edges. But many features like holes or fillet/chamfers (to mention only a few) are "assimilated"/"translated" just like simple faces.

And that was using SW 2011!

Could SW 2006 version open SW2011 files?

Regards,

Adrian Stratulat
Message 10 of 10

Not what you want to hear but I don't believe you can do what you are asking.

Even if you can buy a translator program such as Transmagic to go from Inventor to SW I recon you will struggle because of the gap between versions. INV2011/12 to SW2006 is about 4 years I recon.

Someone may put me right on this but I recon you need SW2006 to do this properly and not create issues further down the line.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums