Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sideways Drawing

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Atlas_Inventor
3417 Views, 17 Replies

Sideways Drawing

I don't know if I did anything, but the drawing I'm doing completely went sideways, the other sheets are normal, but this one turned. Any help turning it back could be appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: Atlas_Inventor

Rotate your monitor clockwise 90° while working on that sheet.

Can you attach the file here?

If you right click on that sheet and select Edit Sheet - what does it show for the Orientation? (Portrait or Landscape)?

Did you reboot the computer and the behavior persists?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 18
Atlas_Inventor
in reply to: JDMather

Rotating the monitor will change the way the mouse behaves (push mouse away, it would go to the right, etc.) so I'll just work with how it is for now.

The Orientation is still set to Landscape. I tried switching to Portrait, then back to Landscape and nothing.

Nothing changes with a reboot.

Message 4 of 18
JDMather

Have you installed SP 1.1?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 18
blair

Select the sheet in questions, RMB click on the sheet in the Drawing Browser box, select Edit Sheet and change the orientation from Portrait to Landscape.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 18
Atlas_Inventor
in reply to: blair

It's already in Landscape format, everything is rotated 90 deg, not just the sheet. When you export as a PDF it still comes out as a regular landscape format.

Message 7 of 18
SBix26

I vaguely recall many years ago that there was a way in which you could get a drawing (.idw) to rotate in 3D space, which was useful mainly for entertainment... (some of us don't get out much!).  I don't recall how that was accomplished, nor do I know whether Inventor still has that ability.  But your situation looks like it accidentally got rotated and saved that way.  Post the file and see if anyone can figure it out.

Message 8 of 18
Atlas_Inventor
in reply to: SBix26

After you said that, I figured it out immediately, I have a 3DConnexion Mouse and just hit the rotate button!

Message 9 of 18

Mine went edge on showing the model behind the sheet!

As yours it was my 3D Mouse button getting accidentally pushed by the edge of my keyboard encroaching on its space!

I don't get out much either so I thought I would include a screenshot for entertainment value....

Edgewise-LOL.JPG

Message 10 of 18

Hi! The behavior does not look right to me. What Inventor release are you on? Can you reproduce the behavior easily?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 18
blair
in reply to: johnsonshiue

It's correct, Inventor places different parts/lines of the item at different "layers/depths" of the drawing. If you use the different view commands in the 3D Connexion 3D mouse, you can rotate the drawing view.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 18

​Yes I can.. my older Space Navigator Pro has a set of 'thumb' buttons to
the right of the joystick.​ The outermost button changes the plane from
'Front' to 'Left' if you were looking at a View Cube which is not available
in that environment. I used 'Previous View' command and was able to get it
to go back but then it happened a second time. Realized the edge of my
keyboard was pushing the button when I was typing.
The fine line in the middle is the edge of the sheet/drawing and the rest
is the model that is being projected onto the sheet from behind.
Literally a look 'behind the curtain' of an IDW...
Message 13 of 18
Kent.in.Ontario

Exactly how it happened!

Message 14 of 18
SER4

This is kinda cool.  I wonder if this was considered 'faulty functionality' and probably fixed to not allow it...I am not able to reproduce this (on 2019; I do have a 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator).  It would actually be cool if we could rotate the entire paper/camera, e.g. 90deg to view many dimensions with rotated text.

Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2023.4.1 (28.4.20.0); Inventor Pro 2023.4.1 (418).
Message 15 of 18
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: SER4

A user in my team got freaked out with this too:

Galaxybane_0-1648128470928.png

Message 16 of 18
NigelHay

You can reassign the buttons on the 3D Connexion mouse if it's a problem
Message 17 of 18
CGBenner

I remember seeing this post 10 years ago, trying it, and being amazed that you could do this!  As one person commented above, intentionally doing it is only useful for a bored designer looking to waste a little time.  🙂

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 18 of 18
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: CGBenner

Problem is, I couldn't get that one back on flat without a 3D puck! There is no alternative I guess.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report