Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ShrinkWrap not creating solids

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
monstrphil
527 Views, 3 Replies

ShrinkWrap not creating solids

Greetings,

I am a tech illustrator taking our engineering models and creating dumb solids for architects to drop into CAD drawings. When I take an assembly and try to shrinkwrap it (with the Solid Bodies option) the file still has all the internal ribs and fillets and stand-outs. I have created extrudes to fill gaps and holes and even tried to create single pieces to assemble later to no avail. What am I doing wrong. thank you for your input

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
terje.antonsen
in reply to: monstrphil

it looks like you have only closed the part with your extrude, and the details inside is still there as they should be from your action. if you only need a picture you can just change the visual style to shaded. if you need the dumb solid, you can use extrude to and select the inside faces to close the part. another method is to use sculpt and select the inside faces and the work plane you have. all surfaces must intersect and form a closed volume completely for this to work. if you try this, hover over sculpt and press F1.

Message 3 of 4
monstrphil
in reply to: terje.antonsen

thanks for the input-I will try the sculpt method.

I was under the assumption that if I created a watertight object-it would consume everything inside. I even created a shoe box (two pieces) as an example and shrinkwrapped it. That came out as a solid (when you slice it-it was filled). I just want the same for my IPT. 

Message 4 of 4
terje.antonsen
in reply to: monstrphil

Ah, I thought you did the extrude instead of shrinkwrapping. If you shrinkwrap, and its watertight, you should be getting what you want. Maybe you could upload the part?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report