Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showcase messed up Inventor

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
jletcher
956 Views, 19 Replies

Showcase messed up Inventor

This is nice never really needed to use showcase but had some time to play so yesterday I decided to play. I started showcase and nothing but issues right of the bat (thanks knew I should have left it alone) it messed up my windows settings changing the look from Windows 7 to Windows XP mixed with Windows 3.1, I have no clue. I tried to bring in an assembly and all heck broke loose and it crashed. Sent report said there was SP for it but I was like nope not going to screw with this crap. Then my windows went back to Windows 7 look. But I went into explorer and found I lost all thumbnail views in explorer. Tried restart did not fix it so I said screw it shut down and went riding.

This morning a client calls and is having issues so he sent me his files to look at so I started inventor opened his file and had issues with pan, zoom rotate I closed Inventor restarted it and it was fine so I thought. I fixed the issue and sent him back the files.

I then went to start on a machine I was making for another client and went to locate some holes and more issues I can’t see my dimensions see picture below.

BULL.JPG

Now by the time you read this I will have restarted the computer and will see what happens.

But this is one reason I am getting upset with you Autodesk I don’t have time to fix all the issues of bugs you have by the time I am done writing this and restart the computer I would lost about an hour of work that’s $75.00. And I hope it works with a restart I will let you know.

But if anyone seen this and knows a fix (if restart doesn’t work) please if you are willing fill me in…

P.S.

Been running Inventor 2012 for a year on this computer and this never happened till I tried Showcase.....

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

If I remember correctly, Showcase 2012 had 4 very large SP's...

Edit: Just checked, that was 2013 that had 4 SP's. 2012 only appears to have 1.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17224797&linkID=9242539 (I'm sure you know where to find it, but since I'm looking right at it)

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 20
jletcher

Well I did a cold restart on the CPU and it show Dims but not extended lines so I still have this issue. I also believe the arrows are pointing in the wrong direction..

BULL.JPG

I decided to look at old Dimension to see if it is OK or what and look a dimension I put in before I started showcase is fine (see Pic below) only new ones I put in..

BULL2JPG.JPG

Will try and load SP for showcase I don't see how it will fix Inventor But will give it a shot.

More hours not getting paid to fix something that should never happen..

I beg you Autodesk please get back on track and stop putting in new features until you fix all known issues please...

Message 4 of 20
mrattray

You might even get stuck with a reinstall if you're not lucky. Are your graphics drivers up to date? Have you played with the hardware settings tab in application options? The more I think about this the more it sounds like Showcase may have changed a windows or graphics driver option on you.
The SP suggestion was more so you don't get hurt by Showcase again.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 20
blair

Showcase shouldn't be changing anything in Inventor. I know that Showcase changes the disply with Windows Basic.

I would try a reboot, possibly something "Hung" on the switch back.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 20
jletcher
in reply to: blair

Did 10 restarts already all hard shut downs still having issues.

Will check settings in video card and if that is not it I will try a restore with windows before this happened.

If I un-install it will not be re-installed I will just use my Solid Works or Solid Edge or my Pro-E and will say bye to Inventor forever.

Message 7 of 20
jletcher

Had to try to get a part done for client now the graphics went away and now cannot rotate, pan, zoom can't do anything but click buttons.. All I did was put in that flush constaint in..

enough.JPG

Guess I will restore

Message 8 of 20
blair

Check your Display Setting, try with Windows Aero. I would try switching back and forth there to see if it cures the problem.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 20
jletcher
in reply to: blair

Well I did a system restore as smart as I am about Autodesk and the bugs I made a restore point before I tried Showcase. I was able to constrain without graphics blinking in and out and so far so good..

And look it only cost me 6 hours @ $75.00 an hour so I lost $450.00 today..

Thanks Autodesk..

Time to make a you tube video and rant seeing they don't like me ranting here...

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

there is something very wrong with this situation, i opened showcase and it didn't do anything to my inventor. very weird...

(i don't have exact values, but i am sure there are thousands of other users who also opened showcase and it didn't mess up there inventor either)

what else do you use you workstation for?

PS- I think they should give your your own forum on here, for all your "ranting",

haha

Message 11 of 20
mrattray
in reply to: Anonymous

I've also used showcase for Inventor stuff without issue. I've used both 2012 and 2013. Although only a couple times. It's spiffy for making renderings for my marketing department.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

This is nice never really needed to use showcase but had some time to play so yesterday I decided to play. I started showcase and nothing but issues right of the bat (thanks knew I should have left it alone) it messed up my windows settings changing the look from Windows 7 to Windows XP mixed with Windows 3.1,

How would this happen? all you did was open showcase?? and it re-configured your windows theme? do you change your theme typically or leave it as original windows 7 theme?

Message 13 of 20
rdyson

When I loaded the 2012 Suite, I loaded Showcase as well as all the other apps. Tried it once and it was horible, not as bad as James experience but still it seemed totaly unusable.

After James rant, I launched Sowcase 2014. It actually looks quite cool and lighting seems much more intuitive than Studio. Now all I need is reason to use it.

PDSU 2016
Message 14 of 20
blair
in reply to: mrattray

Both Showcase 2013 and Showcase 2014 switch the Windows environment from Areo to Basic as well. Been like this as long as I can remember. Probably because it was ported over from XP to Vista and Win7.

Still better than trying to learn 3dMax.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 20
kstate92

Total shot in the dark, but maybe try a new Windows user account, just to rule out something borked deep in your current profile.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: kstate92

Yea that would be interesting, I was going to suggest using a seaprate computer/workstation only for inventor work, but a new user on the same workstation would be interesting as well. Either he has very bad luck and ends up with all the bugs that inventor produces or it is something triggering these problems.

Message 17 of 20
jletcher

Sean is that all you wanted to do was try and make it like I am not telling the truth how nice...

1st off you are using 2014 I have 2012 that can be why you had no issue wow what a concept.

2nd there are a lot of issues on here I don't have and thousands don't have but they have the issues so what's your point?

3rd my workstation is for work I have other computers to do my gaming and programming on.

4th have a nice day....

P.S.. I did not rant and I will not lower myself to your level just to get a haha...

Hope you feel better..

Message 18 of 20
jletcher

I guess no one read my post.

I was smart enough to make a restore point before I started Showcase for some reason I had a strange feeling. So I restored the computer from that point the point before showcase.

Everything is working fine now in Inventor will just not use Showcase have no reason for it just thought I would check it out.

I think Blair has the right clue but you all seem to not read his post. He told you it does change settings. All  I can think of is it changed the settings so it can run and when it crashed the settings did not get changed back and doing the restore put my settings back.

Maybe someday you may own a company of your own and will understand how losing time is losing money and the little bugs cost you time so you lose money. But as long as you only care about a paycheck you have no reason to get upset it is not your money..

Also if there where never issues why do they make SP?

Have a good day...

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Sean is that all you wanted to do was try and make it like I am not telling the truth how nice...

i didn't mean to for you to interpret that way...

1st off you are using 2014 I have 2012 that can be why you had no issue wow what a concept.

-this is true, I was simply stating that I opened Inventor and Showcase with no issues, (maybe take the plunge and get over 2012?)

2nd there are a lot of issues on here I don't have and thousands don't have but they have the issues so what's your point?

-my point here was that, at one time I had 2012, with no issues opening and using the Autodesk software, so to me through deduction, this isolates the problem directly to your workstation and environment.

3rd my workstation is for work I have other computers to do my gaming and programming on.

-i agree, my workstation is use only for work, but I have currently (looking at control panel) 112 programs installed. no games etc either....but any one of those programs installed could have something to do with your issues, and yes that can include other Autodesk software.

4th have a nice day....

-i always do, thanks...

P.S.. I did not rant and I will not lower myself to your level just to get a haha...

- in your previous post about Autodesk costing you $75/hour ..yada yada, I took it as a rant, and also you are the one who posted about making rant videos on youtube, I just played along...i probably won't watch your videos, but I would definitely read your posts if you had a personal thread/forum here...I troll these forums everyday, simply because I am a single user here, no mentors or anyone to discuss items with. This forum is my tutor.

I can tell from your previous post's that your a experienced Inventor user, but all your posts are so **** counter productive and depressing. You don't typically post looking for a solution or help, it is more of and Inventor bashing. 

Hope you feel better..

and the same to you James...

Message 20 of 20
jletcher

Sean,

You don't typically post looking for a solution or help, it is more of and Inventor bashing.

If you look at most of my post I rarely need help unless it is with ilogic because I do know inventor very well and should been on it for years and many, many hours and I worked for them.

Most of my post are issues with Inventor and the bugs it has and wish for other to know just incase they are about to do the same thing I wish for them to know what issues they may have doing it. So most of mine don't need to be solved but need to be fixed within the software itself.

In the early days inventor had very few issues as long as you have the right video card and your system set up right. But now Inventor has turned into a bug nest because they feel the need to chase other software companies instead of staying on track with Inventor and by doing so they have many issues now. And the only way to fix the issues is to upgrade and this I feel is very wrong. Some cannot afford subscription for upgrades and to be honest upgrades are not upgrades that are making anyone more productive but less productive. Again off track from what Autodesk said they was doing with Inventor.

You call it bashing I call it a warning to those about to do the same thing. I don't want more people losing money if I can help it..

It is very sad when you feel you need to make a restore point every morning just incase Inventor decides to hick-up.

And trust me telling Autodesk how much I lost was not a rant. You would know my rants when I do it LOL.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report