Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show some of the hidden lines in a drawing

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Karol-Or
8483 Views, 11 Replies

Show some of the hidden lines in a drawing

I want to show only a few hidden lines in a drawing view.

I set the view to show hidden lines, then i attach a sketch to the view and project the hidden lines that i want.

But when i put back the view to hidden lines removed, the lines on the sketch disappear as well

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CCarreiras
in reply to: Karol-Or

Hi!

You don't need to do a sketch for that. You can simply select the Hidden lines you don't want to be visible and hide them.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Karol-Or
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thanks, that's good, but i have a large number of lines to hide.

Is there a faster way?

I mean with the new sketch, in which i coose only the lines that i want is faster, but, is there a way to make the lines visible after i turn back the view to hidden lines removed?

Message 4 of 12
mikejones
in reply to: Karol-Or

Set the view to NOT show hidden lines at all and for the parts/assemblies which you want to show hidden detail on find them in the browser of the drawing view tree and RMB click and choose 'Show Hiden Detial'. This will show the hidden detail for the parts which you select.

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 12
dag_h
in reply to: mikejones

Is there a way to do this for single part drawings too, showing only a few features?

Message 6 of 12
Ecosse
in reply to: dag_h

Click edit view on the view you want to hide the hidden lines from, untick style from base. Then you can choose style of choice, middle one (no hidden lines). 

Message 7 of 12
JBerns
in reply to: Ecosse

While selecting the hidden lines for which you will toggle the Visibility, would it be helpful to turn off the Visible and Visible Narrow layers so that those edges can't be selected?

2015-08-10_11-01-54.png

Annotate tab, Format panel, Layer drop down, select the light bulbs to toggle layer visibility for the Visible layers.

Now you can select and window select without selecting visible edges. You may also want to switch to the "Detail Filters" selection mode so that you can't accidentally select the view. Selecting the view can prevent certain context menu options from appearing, such as the Visibility option.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Jerry 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 8 of 12
ApolloMan
in reply to: mikejones

I have imported models which have hundreds of hidden lines.  The most frustating missing feature I see here is there should be a way to do the following:

1.  Show Hidden Lines

2.  Select only the Hidden Lines you want to Keep

3.  Hide All Un-Selected Hidden Lines

This would make TONS of people happy if this actually worked somehow IMO.

I find Jerry's response above is great however and I thank you Jerry for this great tidbit as it is as close to the desired effect I can get.

Thanks buddy.

-Mark

Message 9 of 12
JHicksWURJM
in reply to: ApolloMan

I agree 110%.  This would be a perfect solution that would save a massive amount of time on large assemblies where only certain hidden lines need to be shown.  I would think this would be a very logical thing to do, but I'm running Inventor 2019 and still no such option.  I guess they're saving this one for when they run out of other ideas for future releases.

P.S.

Kudos to Jerry also.  His tip made a big improvement!

Message 10 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JHicksWURJM

Hi Guys,

This is a very interesting idea I must say. Whether or not it can be done is a technical issue. I will work with the project team and see if we can do it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12
JBerns
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Glad the tip to toggle layer visibility was helpful.

Regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 12 of 12
JHicksWURJM
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I would have to think the operation would work the same as when you have manually turned the visibility off on certain selected lines, then are able to right click on the view in the browser and select "show hidden edges".  Then you are able to select the individual lines that you want to be visible again.  But, I am not a programmer and I'm sure it's not just that simple.  Good luck! I would love to see this incorporated in the next release.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums