Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell command on sphere

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dukes82
4029 Views, 7 Replies

Shell command on sphere

I have a funnel with a curved top.  I'm trying to project an inset of the border onto the curved surface and use the shell command to create a hollow funnel with an overhanging lip.  I have projected the inset successfully, but cannot select the resulting smaller face, just the whole original face.  

A similar problem that I tried while attempting to figure this out was shelling a sphere.  2d sketch -> 3d sketch project onto surface, and try applying shell to the resulting "face".  However I can only select the whole face when trying to shell.  

Hope this was clear, please let me know if i can explain further or add pictures!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
robmatthews
in reply to: dukes82

Yeah, you lost me.  Can you attach a pic of your finished product please, and maybe where you're up to so far?

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
Message 3 of 8
mikeweb74

For the sphere pick sphere from the primitives, pick one of the origin planes, pick the origin, pick a point on the sphere. This will give you a sketch that is a center point circle with a center line and automaticly revolves it a full 360 degrees. Then pick the revolution you just craeated from the browser, set the thickness you want the wall to be and check ok. Done!!! You can go back to the revolution sketch and dimeinsion the diamiter you want the sphere to be.

Sphere.jpg

Michael Webster, CD, CSWP
Purdue SWT, South Bend
South Bend, IN

Home/Work: Dell Precision 6700M
Win 7 64bit Pro
i7-3820QM 8 GB
Nvidia Quadro 3000M 2GB
Inventor 2014.
Message 4 of 8
cwhetten

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It's hard to tell from your description exactly what you are trying to do, but my first guess is that splitting the face might be what you want to do.  I'll second robmatthew's suggestion for posting a picture.  Or better yet, can you post your file?

Until then, keep in mind that it isn't necessary to pick a face for the shell command.  For a sphere, just start the shell command, specify the thickness and direction, then click OK.  No need to pick a face.  See the attached file (Inventor 2014) for an example.

Edit:  I have also attached an example that demonstrates using the split tool.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 5 of 8
dukes82

Thanks for the responses, I'm checking out your split example now.  I'm attaching a couple of picture to clarify what I'm trying to do.

The first is from Inventor, and it shows the projected 3d sketch on the surface of the sphere and the top of the funnel.  I've got the shell command selected, and I can only choose the entire sphere or curved surface when selecting the 'face' I've created.  

The second picture is a cutaway sketch of the profile I'm trying to achieve with the funnel.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

1. I cannot tell from your image what version of Inventor you are using (it would be far far better to attach ipt file here).

2. It doesn't appear that you ever Split your face.

3. You don't need a 3D sketch to Split your face.

4. If you have tangent faces be sure to turn off tangent selection of faces (I think this is version specific).

Maybe something like attached is what you are after?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
cwhetten

OK, thanks for posting the pictures.  The split tool is what you need.  Take a close look at the file JD posted.  Go through it step by step from start to finish--there's a lot to be learned from the techniques he used to create that example.

As for shelling the part, JD mentioned this:

4. If you have tangent faces be sure to turn off tangent selection of faces

I struggled with this myself for a minute or two when I was creating the sphere example.  I couldn't get the shell tool to pick the split surface--it just wanted to pick the entire surface.  The option JD mentioned is called Automatic Face Chain (at least, that's what it's called in 2014):

Shell automatic face chain.PNG

This option has to be off, otherwise it will pick every surface that is tangent to the one you want.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 8 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Here is another example that has a tangent edge.

And another example....

...and another.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report