Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal style for corrugated fiberboard

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
kmckenney
1412 Views, 4 Replies

Sheet metal style for corrugated fiberboard

I had good success making flat patterns for corrugated fiberboard (cardboard commonly used in packaging). I am posting the sheet metal settings here because I didn't find them anywhere else.

This forumla comes from Inventor Reference Guide > Work Environment > Styles and Style Libraries > Work with styles > Linear:
    Unfolded length = (inner Bend Radius + KFactor*Thickness)*(Bend Angle)
where bend angle is in radians.

For corrugated_fiberboard, let inner Bend Radius = 0 and let KFactor = 1 (no stretch on outside, inside compresses).

Setup "corrugated fiberboard" sheet metal style in the Style Editor:
from a sheet metal part, ribbon > Manage > Style Editor
> Left pane, Sheet Metal Unfold, Default_KFactor > New > Name: corrugated_fiberboard_KFactor
  > Unfold Method: Linear, KFactor Value: 1 ul
> Left pane, Sheet Metal Rule > Default > New > Name: corrugated_fiberboard
  > Sheet tab > Unfold Rule: corrugated_fiberboard_KFactor
     For thickness, refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_fiberboard#Manufacture_of_corrugated_board > Standard US Corrugated Flutes
  > Bend tab > Bend Radius: .0001
> Save

Before you save Styles to Style Library, make sure your Style Library is Read-Write.  Close project files and then from Projects:
  Use Style Library = Read-Write

To save a style:
  Ribbon > Manage tab > Styles and Standards panel > Save icon > click "Yes to All", OK
Changes made to a style library are not available in other documents until the current Autodesk Inventor session closes and a new session is reopened.

To make a fiberboard mock up, print a 1:1 scale drawing, contact cement drawing to fiberboard, cut, fold, and hot glue.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PaulMunford
in reply to: kmckenney

Great stuff!

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 5
scottmoyse

you should post back to this again, with the words "Solution is the original post" then we can mark it as Accept As Solution for you. Great work & thanks for sharing this with the community.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 5
kmckenney
in reply to: scottmoyse

Solution is the original post.

Message 5 of 5
Mike686

hi' i've reproduce the setting you listed here and i still get and outside radius

what i'm trying to acheive, maybe you can tell me if it's impossible or what but i want the folded model to have square looking bend, that mean having the minimal outside radius, even none if its possible

Product Design Suite 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report