Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal bend relief

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
chenhoeffer
1530 Views, 10 Replies

Sheet metal bend relief

On certain thicknesses at a two bend corner a round bend relief goes to the intersection of the sheet metal edges insted of the intersection of the bend lines. Should always go to the center of the bend lines. As I increase the size of the relief is goes to the center of the bend lines but I would like my bend relief to be as small as possible for welding purposes.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: chenhoeffer

I would check with the floor or who will be doing the welding. Most cases you will want the gap to be as close to zeros as possible to weld. Some might prefer a lap type corner, where one over laps the other (or at least part way). Also, not sure of your final intent as how you want it to look.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
chenhoeffer
in reply to: blair

More of the issue here is that the bend relief is not centered on the bend
lines which puts it further into the top surface of the part which is not
desirable. I usually set the diameter of the relief to the thickness of the
material. However when you do this it moves the center of the diameter to
the intersection of the flange edges instead of the center of the bend
lines.
Message 4 of 11
blair

It centers here fine, I am on a newer release so I can't send you the file. I can't insert or attach images/files from the office. I just changed the Miter Gap to 0.01in and kept everything else the same. All Bend Relief shape are centered on the corners.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 11
chenhoeffer

At work I am running 2014 SP1 and I have the same issue. What version are
you running? These are the parameters I typically use and get the issue.
Bend relief for 2 bend corner = round. Releif size = thickness. I also set
the gap at around 0.03125".
Message 6 of 11
blair

I am on IV2014sp1.3, why am I getting a "Data Format Has Changed" and note about following files following files was migrated to the current release, unless the Flat Pattern needs to be deleted and then re-created.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 11
chenhoeffer

Here is the example of the part that I did this morning in Inventor 2014. When you unfold the part you will notice that the bend relief is not centered on the bend lines.

Message 8 of 11
blair

It is set in 0.037" on both bend lines. I would check my setting for the Bend Releif

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 11
blair

Not sure what is wrong at your end or with your model as to why it places the center of the round relief not centered on the bend line. If I create a new S-M part here the round relief is centered on the bend line. There must be something with your S-M template, if I create a new S-M using my template the relief is centered. Yours creates the relief set in 0.037".

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11
chenhoeffer

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/plain;" /> body { font-family: "Calibri","Slate Pro","sans-serif"; color:#262626 }
Thanks 

Can you send me your sheet metal template so I can do a comparison?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Rogers network.
Message 11 of 11
blair

I can't attach files or insert pictures from my machine at work on this forum. I can either e-mail you directly or you can e-mail me at: blair dot stunder at arcticmfg dot com

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report