Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal- LH&RH

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
JamieSENG
419 Views, 5 Replies

Sheet metal- LH&RH

Hi all. I've got a question for anyone that uses sheet metal.

Background to question,
I'll make a part outline using sheet metal then bend and press accordantly to suit the job in hand. When it comes to the drawings I'm making one of the pressing details and one of the outline to be cut.

However because in most cases there's LH & RH made from the same outline meaning one drawing for both it becomes confusing on the bom.

Anyone had the same problem that could help?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: JamieSENG

Jamie,

I have not worked much with the sheet metal, but as far as the BOM goes, what my suggestion would be is to create an ipart for the LH and RH versions.  Then in the BOM they can have two distinctly different part numbers.  Not to mention in the assembly these iparts are used, the assemblies can be iassemblies with each member of the iassembly having its own column in the BOM for quantities.  This method for me has worked and is makes things fairly clear on the drawing.  Hope this helps.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
JamieSENG

I've not done much modelling using iparts in the past. I'm certainly going to give it a go now.

Could you be of assistance on any of my other posts Cadmanto?

Sheet metal-flat pattern-drawing

ilogic save copy as autocad dwg (older version)

ilogic-content centre-iProperties
Message 4 of 6
blair

We create the LH version from scratch using the Sheet-Metal module in Inventor, then Derive the RH version using the Mirror function to get the RH part. When we do our drawing, we only draw the LH item with notes on the drawing detailing it's the LH and view. Notes on the flat lay-out and bend table are also included. We have never had a problem from our outside suppliers with this method, some actually prefer it as it reduces paperwork.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 6
Cadmanto

Let us know how the iparts and iassemblies go for you.  I know there are youtube videos that could assist you.

As far as your other threads go, I am not an iLogic guru at all.  Sorry, or I would be glad to help you out.  What I can suggest is if you do not get much of a response from this forum you can try posting them in the customization forum.  That is were a lot of that kind of stuff is listed.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 6
JamieSENG

Thank you both for your input. Will try both options first thing Monday and report back.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report