Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
jeff.noel
Message 1 of 8 (517 Views)

Sheet Metal Rule in drawing

517 Views, 7 Replies
05-07-2012 07:31 AM

I have setup all our Sheet Metal Rules to be all of our stocked in house sheet metals.  The sheet metal rules are named like:

ALUM 5052 H32 1/2" (Part Number)

ST STEEL T304 3/8" (Part Number)

STEEL 44W 1/8" (Part Number)

etc.

And each rule has the proper thickness, material, and some standardized bend radius's.  I've done this to introduce more uniformity in our designs, and to also allow the designer to put as much information into the model as possible, so that if someone else does the drawings, there is no question as to which material is used.

I now want to bring in the Sheet Metal Rule name into the drawing automatially.  I can't seem to find a way to reference the Sheet Metal Rule directly from the drawing.  What I need to do is pick a standard field in the iProperties (I used Stock Number), and put in =<Sheet Metal Rule> so that now the Stock Number references the Sheet Metal Rule, and then in the drawing I can just reference the Stock Number, and it will come in.

I don't like having to use the Stock Number as a middle man though, as none of our existing models are setup like this.  Is it possible to reference Sheet Metal Rule in the drawing without having to use another field as a placeholder for the information?  Thanks! 

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 2 of 8 (513 Views)

Re: Sheet Metal Rule in drawing

05-07-2012 07:45 AM in reply to: jeff.noel

Why don't you just use a custom iProp?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Valued Contributor
jeff.noel
Message 3 of 8 (510 Views)

05-07-2012 07:51 AM in reply to: mrattray

Because if I use the built in fields, then it will be a part of our templates and you won't need to do anything to get the material, it will just bring it in automatically.  

Custom fields can be selected only after the part is placed in the drawing.  

Using a custom iProperty actually adds a step over how I have it now.   

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 4 of 8 (506 Views)

05-07-2012 07:54 AM in reply to: jeff.noel

That's not true, I have templates that reference custom iProps. You just need to add a view of the part, make the reference, then delete the view and save the template. Next time you use the template it will look for the custom iProp in whatever model you place.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Valued Contributor
jeff.noel
Message 5 of 8 (504 Views)

05-07-2012 07:58 AM in reply to: mrattray

Thanks, that will work nicely if I can't find a way to bring in the Sheet Metal Rule directly.  

Mentor
RobJV
Message 6 of 8 (489 Views)

05-07-2012 11:03 AM in reply to: jeff.noel

Where in the drawing do you want to bring it in?  If into the partslist, this may be of help to you:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Parts-List-amp-BOM-amp-Stock-Number-amp-Sheet-Metal-...

You can also bring it into other areas by the same principle.  I presently bring in all my rules directly into my partslist.  This happens automatically.

Rob

*Pro
jletcher
Message 7 of 8 (458 Views)

05-08-2012 09:00 AM in reply to: jeff.noel

I use ilogic to do all my material description in iproperties so if it is changed so does my description works real good no fat fingers and all descriptions from one user to the other are all the same. all my steel shapes do the same thing.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
*Expert Elite*
brendan.henderson
Message 8 of 8 (430 Views)

05-10-2012 04:27 PM in reply to: jletcher

I add all of the sheet metal data to the part description including the sheet metal extenst and the thickness and material grade. I even include the shape file DXF reference. Much of this data is also populated into the part title block so that the plasma cutter can see what the material is, the thickness and square extents size and the inner and outer profile cut lengths. See graphics below. Works for us.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2014 PDS Premium SP2 Update 1, Vault Professional 2014 Subs Release 1 & Update 1

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube