Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Punch Help Please

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
DougDR
693 Views, 12 Replies

Sheet Metal Punch Help Please

Hi everyone

Please help. This is my first run at designing a “sheet metal” punch. The 3 pic’s show ,hopefully, what I need to make the punch for and what I think is right.

At the moment I have designed the punch for a 50mm dia  2mm thick 304 stainless steel disc . I have not allowed  for stretch.

What should one allow for and do you think the punch design will work ?Foot 2.jpg

Foot 2d.jpg

Foot 2d2.jpg

Doug Davey

Mechanical Designer
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jletcher
in reply to: DougDR

I will say no but you say I am not an expert so maybe you want someone else to answer you even though I have 28 years in sheet metal tool and die design..

Message 3 of 13
DougDR
in reply to: jletcher

Oh My goodness ...... 

There was no way I thought you were not an expert. I just wanted to go with the process that was being offered to me. I am sorry if you thought I implied that you where not an expert. I hope you will forgive me .... there was no intent implied. Sorry again

Doug Davey

Mechanical Designer
Message 4 of 13
DougDR

Hi James Letcher

God I feel bad .......... Please come back

Doug Davey

Mechanical Designer
Message 5 of 13
mcgyvr

Are you asking about developing just the inventor ide portion of the punch or the actual physical tool for producing that part? I'm not sure i saw a real question in there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 13
DougDR
in reply to: mcgyvr

The tool to develop the part.

Thanks fotr the support

I mean the punch tool to punch the flat disc into the part

Doug Davey

Mechanical Designer
Message 7 of 13
jletcher

It will not work because you will get what is call a stamp wrinkle in the sheet metal because you have nothing to hold the sheet in place as it is being formed. This I would stamp up not down tooling is cheaper and easier to make. Plus you have a hole that will need to be guided. The pic bellow will show you what I mean but it is a form down and you need a form up..

If no one helps you by tomorrow I will check tonight if I can find the one I made..

pinch.JPG

Message 8 of 13
DougDR

Ok .... So How much will the blank change in size during the forming and what type of pressure wil be needed to hold the blank?

We only have a fly press .... will this work?

Doug Davey

Mechanical Designer
Message 9 of 13
jletcher

Depends is the fly press hydraulic? If yes what is the tonnage.

I will have to look into the allowance you will need for the blank but it will not be much. Need info one fly press for hold down pressure.

Also will need hex size ( did not see if it was in 1st post) because it will need to be smaller as well and it will be more then the allowance for blank because where it is located.. 

Message 10 of 13
DougDR

Ok .... I wil get that info on tonnage ........... but its a standard hand fly press

We are welding a bolt into the hex hole .... the bolt has a 16mm across flats

Doug Davey

Mechanical Designer
Message 11 of 13
DougDR

OK The Fly Press can handle 10 tons

Doug Davey

Mechanical Designer
Message 12 of 13
jletcher

Doug in a meeting have a short break just want you to know I have not forgot you.

Is this press hydraulic?

When I get done with meeting I will be back.  I am trying to alter my stamp for you but like I said in meeting..

Also you sad you will be welding a bolt to this in my test last night shows there maybe stress cracks in the hex is this going to be OK? They will be in the corners not to bad but wanted you to know of them..

Be back as soon as I can..

Message 13 of 13
DougDR

Thanks 

I really happy for the support

Doug Davey

Mechanical Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report