Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shear and Torsion Stresses

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
DimitrisBalgis
3123 Views, 8 Replies

Shear and Torsion Stresses

Hi to everyone

I am currently running a simulation on an I-beam cross section beam which is subjected to a front face clockwise moment. I want to separate the shear and torsion stress results. From literature I found that the shear stress is the StressXY Inventor equivalent but my results differ in comparison to an analytical method result. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jingyi.liu
in reply to: DimitrisBalgis

Hi DimitrisBalgis

I thought you were using Stress Analysis module to analyze you I-Beam Stress, you're right, for stress analysis result, it only show you stress result regarding to different plane.

I recommend you using Frame Analysis, it's more efficient to simulate structure shaped model, and also it will tell you results as you required (shear stress & torsional stress).

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 9

Frame Analysis?I don't follow.

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

@DimitrisBalgis wrote:

Frame Analysis?I don't follow.

What version of Inventor are you using?  2012 or 2013?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
jingyi.liu

Yes, Frame Analysis is a simulation module for structural elements. it appears in Inventor 2012, you can find more details in online help.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/3352-Frame_An3352/3353-Frame_A...

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager
Message 6 of 9

Unfortunately, and I don't know the reason but Frame Analysis is not present in Inventor Professional 2013 x64 that I use...

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

I haven't checked, but in 2012 the frame must be created with the Inventor Frame Generator to use the Frame Analysis.
I assume it is the same in 2013.

Did you use Frame Generator?

Well, I just checked a blank assembly file and see tool to start FA.

Are you in an assembly (*.iam) file?

Frame Analysis.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
m.granata

It sounds like your beam only has one load that also creates a bending moment, is that correct?  Unless the load is not directed through the beams neutral axis I wouldn't expect torsion stresses.  If there is nothing creating the torsion stress I would first use Euler Beam Theory to calculate the maximum moment and shear loads.  Then use those results to calculate the maximum bending (fiber) and shear stresses.  Those results should be close to your model's analysis results.  It is a good idea to always perform some type of hand calculations to verify the results from your computer analysis.  Good Luck   

Message 9 of 9

Hi Dimitri,

Not sure if you solved the problem yet or just moved on but in case you're still stuck...

Did you create this I-beam as a part file? If so that's probably why you can't see the 'frame analysis' option. That option is only available in assembly mode, not part mode. So make a new assembly and either drop your part into the assembly, or better yet, use the Frame generator (in the design section of the assembly toolbar) like JD said to make the beam and then use frame analysis.

Hope this helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report