Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing assets

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
BillMazza
223 Views, 4 Replies

Sharing assets

Another question I have. If we're all pulling from the same asset library, at least hopefully we will be at some point,

When we complete one project, showing, for example a taper machine, then a few months after that project is completed, we update that taper asset, but we want to keep the original asset, for that specific project as is. Do we need to name the new asset something else, to prevent the older asset from updating?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: BillMazza

"part jeff" and "part suzy" get together and make a machine one day..they call it "machine larry"... A few weeks later part jeff decides that he doesn't like being a boy anymore and cuts it off. When machine larry file is opened again part jeff is now a girl.

What part jeff should have done is jumped into the "save copy as" machine and filed a formal request for a name change. This way when machine larry is opened again there is the old version of part jeff still intact.

That was fun...

There are numerous ways to accomplish this. I assume you do 1 off custom projects.

You could simply pack/go up the old assembly and just keep that if you ever need to go back into it.

I think that no matter if you are a 1 off or make the same thing day after day that you should still maintain a "never repeated" part numbering scheme. So if you have a taper part and one day want to make one similar but different enough that it can't work inplace of the old one that a new part number should be assigned. If it can be used is a part revision.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
BillMazza
in reply to: mcgyvr

With a name like Macgyver, I was hoping for something more original involving a paperclip, a few stables, and a lighter.Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
mcgyvr

I thought talking about Inventor parts having a change was original enough Smiley Happy 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 5
SBix26

If you are doing one-off projects, I would strongly encourage you to keep them self-contained.  If you have common assets that you frequently use for your projects, copy them into the project folder from your asset store and cut the links.  If you alter/update your assets, then need to revisit an old project for replacement parts or something, you don't want files changing unintentionally because they're still linked to your now updated asset library.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report