Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Inventor Assemblys over Microsoft Sharepoint

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
BillMazza
761 Views, 1 Reply

Sharing Inventor Assemblys over Microsoft Sharepoint

We are using Inventor 2012 for some of our 3D drawings. On individual computers, it works fine, however, putting the assemblys up on sharepoint, since the parts to that assembly are still located under our individual 'C" drives, when one tries to open that assembly off of sharepoint, they come up with a ton of unresolved links.

I believe the project set-up on our individual computers are the same, that is, where Inventor looks for assets in the project location. But I do need to double check that.

But even so, with some of our factory assets (We use factory design suite), when it's looking for a specific part, such as 'straight roller conveyor' it looks for 'straight roller conveyor108120oihs009hj' or some weird code attached to the end of the part.

We're trying to figure out a way to just share our inventor assemblys across sharepoint, without buying into Autodesk vault.

I need help determining what is the best way to share assemblys across sharepoint, that everyone can see,

or....is the only answer going to be use 'pack n go' and put that whole folder up on sharepoint?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
SBix26
in reply to: BillMazza

I'm no expert on SharePoint, but it seems to me that the project file (.ipj) is critical to doing what you want.  I'm curious about the expected benefits of an assembly file on a SharePoint server without the associated components.  Do all users have copies of the same components on their hard drives, or do users not share projects?

If putting just assemblies (top level only?) on the server has value, then project files need to be modified to include that network location.  But if you're truly wanting to share projects between users, then all of the files need to be on the server.  An assembly file does not contain component definitions, just links to the files that do.

As to the strange file name, I have no idea, unless SharePoint is doing something with its file storage scheme.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report