Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaking or continued motion in 3d assembly

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
crkellogg
4224 Views, 23 Replies

Shaking or continued motion in 3d assembly

Hello,

I just installed inventor 2015 and have been using inventor 2013 for almost two years.  I use a 3dconnexion space explorer.  When I rotate the assembly and stop abruptly the assembly continues to move a little (almost wobbles).  Sometimes it does that and then drops several inches on the screen.  This does not seem like a big deal but 8 hours at this and you get a really bad headache and sort of sea sick.  My system is Windows 7 – 64 bit, intel 3930K 6 core processor, K2000 PNY 2 GB card (certified), 32 GB ram and 250 GB solid drive with 2 TB WD black all running on a Sabertooth X79 socket 2011 MoBo.  I installed 3d space navigator to see if it was my space explorer.  This did not seem to help at all.  Is there a bug or a setting that could be causing this?

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
LT.Rusty
in reply to: crkellogg

@CODY wrote:

Hello,

I just installed inventor 2015 and have been using inventor 2013 for almost two years.  I use a 3dconnexion space explorer.  When I rotate the assembly and stop abruptly the assembly continues to move a little (almost wobbles).  Sometimes it does that and then drops several inches on the screen.  This does not seem like a big deal but 8 hours at this and you get a really bad headache and sort of sea sick.  My system is Windows 7 – 64 bit, intel 3930K 6 core processor, K2000 PNY 2 GB card (certified), 32 GB ram and 250 GB solid drive with 2 TB WD black all running on a Sabertooth X79 socket 2011 MoBo.  I installed 3d space navigator to see if it was my space explorer.  This did not seem to help at all.  Is there a bug or a setting that could be causing this?

Thanks

Sounds like both your 3D controllers are starting to die.

My OG SpacePilot was doing the same thing.  I wound up just unplugging it.  I miss it every time I fire up Inventor at home ... 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 24
JDMather

Did you run Calibrate on your 3DConnexion device?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 24
crkellogg
in reply to: JDMather

Hello, 

The SpaceExplorer is about 3 years old and the SpaceNavigator was pulled out of the new box to test if the problem still existed.  I have never "calibrated" them and never had any issues until now.  How do you calibrate it?

Thanks,

Cody

Message 5 of 24
JDMather

Open the 3D Connexion Control Panel and find the Calibrate button.

Calibrate.png

Also, I don't think you ever stated in this thread if you tried unplugging the 3D Connexion device and doing so, did or did not resolve the drifting problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 24
crkellogg

Thank you for your time,

I have a 3d properties button but not a control panel button in the start folder you show.  I can change speeds and set what the buttons do.  The drift or motion only happens right when i stop using the 3d device.  Its really bad when i zoom in and look at an item but the screen jumps and now what I was looking at is not visible.  If I don't use the device I have no issues but my hand is almost welded to that ball.  On small assemblies of a few parts (5 to 10) it is a lot less noticeable.  Most of my assemblies are 2,000 to 20,000 parts and will rotate very well until I stop.

Thanks again

Message 7 of 24
JDMather

You don't have a Control Panel screen something like this?

3DConnexion Calibrate.PNG

Also, I understand your use of the device, but I still don't think you really answered my question.

If you unplug the device does the problem go away?

It is very important that you not leave anything resting against the puck overnight as it takes hours for the springs to return to steady state.

Message 8 of 24
crkellogg

I have that screen on my laptop at home but not my work computer.  It does not do it with it removed.  It does not do it with it attached until i use it.  It only lasts a second or so after every move.  In the 3d start folder i have; home, properties, collage, trainer, and three folders; demos, documentation, drivers.  If i move really slow and bring to a stop very slowly it will not jump.  If i spin or rotate fast and let go of the ball then it wiggles and jumps a bit.  The jump is not just a move but almost an instant translation of the entire assembly up or down on the screen, not somehting a "sticking" 3d device would normally cause.  I wish I could put a video of this happening for you to see.

Thanks

Cody 

Message 9 of 24

You want to adjust the threshold setting on the Advanced Motion tab of the 3Dconnexion GUI. The threshold setting determines how much cap jiggle gets filtered out and ignored, I typically have mine set @ 35.
Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator
Message 10 of 24
blair
in reply to: jeremy_wasserstrass

I might also try un-installing the drivers and installing the latest drivers from 3dConnexion.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 24
crkellogg
in reply to: blair

Hello,

I have reinstalled and this still happens.  The old 3d software had a calibrate button but the new one does not that I can find.  I have now noticed that if zoomed in to one part of the assembly and using the inspect "distance" and then rotate 180 to measure the thickness of a part it will flash to a completely different part of the assembly.  This assembly is a factory layout that is about 300 ft long and it will move 50 or 60 ft to a different location.  Sometimes it will move back quickly where it should be.  I also see a post about filtering the jitter, but i'm not sure where to look for that setting.

I am really happy to have the helpful comments and I will keep trying all suggestions until this is fixed.

Thanks

Message 12 of 24
crkellogg

Hello,

I have attached a video I took with my old cell phone, it is very hard to see due to the low resolution.  I promise my computer screen is cristal clear.  The first few seconds I was showing the jitters but you can't really see them dut to low resolution.  The it starts to jump to different places of the layout.  I also caught one instance of it jumping to a different place and then within a second returning to the correct location.  I am sorry that the picture moves around but holding a cell phone in one hand and using the 3d ball in the other was harder than I thought.  Sorry I guess I can't upload a video.  If anybody thinks it will help let me know and I will post is somewhere online or email it.

Thanks

Cody

Message 13 of 24
crkellogg

Here is the video I uploaded to youtube

http://youtu.be/RsXskSEXhks
Message 14 of 24
mrattray

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 24
crkellogg
in reply to: mrattray

Hello,

I used the Chronicle Program and uploaded about two minutes here.
About half way in you can really see the jumping. This makes it difficult to work with.

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/e605101c-cae2-4072-b184-104e0b999e42
Message 16 of 24
blair

Is there a different machine with Inventor on it, even use the 30 day evaluation and see if it's the motion controller or your machine. It seems odd that you would have two controller exhibit the same problem on a machine. I am thinking it might be something on your PC that's causing the problem. I wonder if any Anti-Virus software is causing a problem with driver communication. You might take this up with the support people at 3dConnexion.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 17 of 24
crkellogg

This is a new machine and a fresh install of IV2015.  I am using the same 3d controller that I had on the old PC and I even put it back on the old computer and it's fine (The old system has Inventor 2013).  It could be the new computer or the new inventor 2015.  The antivirus, network, and 3d device are the same.   

Message 18 of 24
blair

Check if there are any updates from the PC manufacture for items such as your USB controller. I assume you've tried all the USB ports as well.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 19 of 24
crkellogg

This reply made me think to check for a graphics update even though it is a new card with software that was just installed last week. While the jitters are still there the jumping has vastly been reduced. This makes me think that it is a graphics card and software issue. Maybe the next time they work on the driver for the card or Inventor the problem may go away completely. At least it only jumps once in a great while now. Thanks
Message 20 of 24
blair

If it was installed with the drivers that ship with the card, I would look at the MFG's website for driver update. Most cards ship with very early release drivers.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report