Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting profiles for extrude difficult

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jorgen
3137 Views, 7 Replies

Selecting profiles for extrude difficult

Inventor 2013:
It seems that in this version, selecting profiles for extrusion is buggy. I have many times now (sketches based on either projected geometry, new sketches with all rectangles drawn, all lines, or rectangle with offset. ) been unable to choose the profile I wish. It seems there is some sort of Island detection (or lack of it) See attached. I wish to extrude the center rectangle only, but can not... 

Every time I end up with either retracing the outlines or create another sketch on top of the complete extrusion and then subtract. This has become really frustrating and time consuming. Please help 🙂

Jorgen 

Selection.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
RobJV
in reply to: jorgen

I have been using Inventor for many years and would say that this has been buggy since the beginning.  I am not yet on 2013 so do not know if is worse though.  Sometimes I can "fix" things by drawing points on the corners but often I have to resort to drawing over top or redrawing.  This would be a great thing to fix finally.

Rob

Message 3 of 8
jorgen
in reply to: RobJV

You are correct, I've been struggling a bit with this since Inventor 4 myself, but in this release it is just horrible. I thought I should upload one exeample file, but when opening it, I managed to extrude just fine. So I guess it's not the easiest thing to solve either. It used to be mostly geometry that was a litte complex, but now I am struggling with extruding 1 out of 2 squares...thats not good. 

Hmm, update...maybe the attached file displays the problem. It is impossible for me to extrude the outer rectangle.

Jorgen

Message 4 of 8
Daniela_Koloszko

I will check the issue and will let you know the results.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 5 of 8
Daniela_Koloszko

The problem comes from  non-updated information in this part document. If you update the part, the extrusion command will select correctly the outer profile and will extrude it.

Daniela Koloszko

Message 6 of 8
jorgen
in reply to: Daniela_Koloszko

So my part template needs updating ?
I will try. Thanks.

Jorgen

Message 7 of 8
martin.dunschen

There is a problem with selection of profiles for extrusions if these are nested inside other profiles, I have attached an example. The same operation works fine when using Fusion 360.

In the example, try to select the rectangle in "sketch 6" as the profile for an extrusion, I have not been able to select it.

Martin

PS I am using
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2014
Build 170, Release:2014 RTM Update 2 - Date 06/13/2013

Message 8 of 8
johannesvoges

I still have this on 2018.

I sometimes have to flicker my mouse over different profiles until it randomly decides on the sketch profile i've just drawn...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report