Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Pin Component Generator - Can't Select End Plane?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
tdswanson
559 Views, 7 Replies

Secure Pin Component Generator - Can't Select End Plane?

Is anyone else having trouble with this DA?

When I try to create a pinned joint, I can't select the end plane for the vertical bar.  Am I missing something?  I've used this DA before, but it was quite some time ago and in IV2013.

Suggestions?  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
scottph
in reply to: tdswanson

Hi,

I played with this for a while and I discovered that the end plane has to be on a different component than the original face that you select for the pin.  Looks like the pin would have to be able to go through that face as well.  I hope this helps.

Phillip

Message 3 of 8
tdswanson
in reply to: scottph

Yes I figured that the end plane would have to be on a different component, but shouldn't I be able to select the plane that's the "seam" between the two parts?

In the example assembly that I attached, I can only select the end plane that's on the FAR side of the vertical bar, not the side that's really the mating face.

Thoughts?

Message 4 of 8
scottph

I am speculating that the two faces you are trying to select would not cause the pin to go through both components.  If, for example, you are selecting the far positive Y direction face of dummy bar and the mating face, the pin and hole would not penetrate the base at all.  That is why the selection filter excludes it.

This is if I am understanding what you say, of course.

Phillip

Message 5 of 8
tdswanson

Were you able to get a pin inserted in the assembly I uploaded?

Message 6 of 8
scottph

Yes, I was.  Unfortunately, though, I am working on 2014 beta, so you I can't send it to you.  I have zipped up a video, though.  Maybe that will help.

Message 7 of 8
tdswanson

OK, thanks very much for recording that.  However, that's not necessarily what I would call getting it to work....  Obviously in that example, I wouldn't be drilling a through hole clear from the other side.

Did this DA get broken during the 2012-2013 update? 

Paging Autodesk......  Can someone address this?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 8
scottph

If you want to limit the depth of the hole you can use "By Hole" in the placement options, but you have to create a hole first.  Then you can select the mating face as the termination face.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report