Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section of ribs & webs

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
ChrisR47
14658 Views, 14 Replies

Section of ribs & webs

Just wanting to know opinions, for sectioning of views, typically ribs & webs are not sectioned, so extra work is involved in creating views to meet NZ & Austrailian standards, is it feasible for Autodesk to have it so that if a rib feature is created in a model, this is not sectioned in a section view of a part (much like parts can be turned off for sectioning in an assy view)

regards
Chris
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
lis_wang
in reply to: ChrisR47

Yes. I also have the same problem for long time already.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Have you reported it as a bug to http://www.autodesk.com/feedback-products as a lot
of Standards to allow the sectioning of ribs and webs.

Have you posted it as a Wish to
http://www.augi.com/inventor/default.asp

--
Duncan
"Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by
fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary
living."
(Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
www.autodesk.co.uk/inventorjobs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

wrote in message news:5677294@discussion.autodesk.com...
Yes. I also have the same problem for long time already.
Message 4 of 15
JDMather

Check out SolidWorks 2008 when it becomes available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
ChrisR47

The isuue is not sectioning rib & webs, it is being able to choose NOT to show hatching in ribs and webs, while showing hatching in the rest of the component.

regards
Chris
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

This issue is being tracked as ID 498707 - I have added this request to that
case

--
Thanks
Lisa Darrah
Inventor Quality Assurance Engineer

wrote in message news:5678593@discussion.autodesk.com...
The isuue is not sectioning rib & webs, it is being able to choose NOT to
show hatching in ribs and webs, while showing hatching in the rest of the
component.

regards
Chris
Message 7 of 15
ChrisR47

A Hotfix or service pack for 2008, would be very much appreciated

Chris
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

This is a new feature request, not a defect fix. When it happens, it will
be provided in a new release (and no, not the next one I'm sorry to say).

We'd be unable to deliver this in a service pack or hotfix.

--
Andrew Faix
Product Designer
Autodesk Inventor
---
DIGITAL PROTOTYPING - Got it?

--
Andrew Faix
Product Designer
Autodesk Inventor
---
DIGITAL PROTOTYPING - Got it?

wrote in message news:5682834@discussion.autodesk.com...
A Hotfix or service pack for 2008, would be very much appreciated

Chris
Message 9 of 15
ChrisR47

I thought I might be pushing things a bit, it's good to know that Autodesk are looking at including it in a later release.

Chris
Message 10 of 15
MuratSonmez1863

The hatching convention is valid not only for ribs and webs but also for solid cylinders, spokes, nuts, bolts, rivets, keys, wedges, chain rings, ears, solid spheres, if the cutting plane lengtwisely or longitudinally! Unfortunately althogh Autodesk had promissed to overcome this shortcoming i2 years ago still in the latest version, 2011 the problem  exist. It is not a good thing to say "Sorry students, Inventor does not know the conventions of mechanical engineering drawing!" for such a professional, huge software. I think Autodesk needs to appoint experts on engineering drawing in software departments.

I look forward to having Inventor fully in accordance with standards and conventions.

Bests,

Dr. Murat Sonmez

METU NCC

Message 11 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: MuratSonmez1863

@MuratSonmez1863 wrote:

The hatching convention is valid not only for ... ......but also for solid cylinders, ..., nuts, bolts, rivets, keys, wedges, chain rings, ...., solid spheres, ..... 

Dr. Murat Sonmez

METU NCC

Uhmm, Doc - as far as I know Inventor can be set to not hatch these items in assembly drawing views per standards.
Can you post an example where Inventor doesn't conform to standard practice (with these items you listed)?

The original question was about ribs in section.  You should have started a new thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 12 of 15

@MuratSonmez1863 wrote:

The hatching convention is valid not only for ribs and webs but also for solid cylinders, spokes, nuts, bolts, rivets, keys, wedges, chain rings, ears, solid spheres, if the cutting plane lengtwisely or longitudinally! Unfortunately althogh Autodesk had promissed to overcome this shortcoming i2 years ago still in the latest version, 2011 the problem  exist. It is not a good thing to say "Sorry students, Inventor does not know the conventions of mechanical engineering drawing!" for such a professional, huge software. I think Autodesk needs to appoint experts on engineering drawing in software departments.

I look forward to having Inventor fully in accordance with standards and conventions.

Bests,

Dr. Murat Sonmez

METU NCC

"...nuts, bolts, rivets, keys..." Assembly components can easily be excluded from section participation, but doing the same for part features is virtually impossible.

Paul Cunningham
IV2008
Message 13 of 15
quattda

I take it that this ability is not included even three versions later?

Message 14 of 15
MuratSonmez1863
in reply to: JDMather

Following method was offered by one of my students ( Muhammad Askari) 2 years ago, why not say "Askari's Method": For eliminating hatching lines for ribs and webs first create the sectional view and then bring the cursor on the hatching lines, right click and select "hide" option. Then indicate the view left clicking, after that start sketching. apply "project geometry" process. for the boundarylines of the ribs/webs. And then apply filling-hatching process for the surfaces of  solid parts cut by the cutting plane, of course excluding the surface of ribs/webs....

Bests,

M Sonmez

Message 15 of 15
JDMather

@MuratSonmez1863 wrote:

Following method was offered by one of my students ( Muhammad Askari) 2 years ago, ...

M Sonmez

see Tip #58 pg28  (method not described in the paper - but was in the presentation).

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report